New Post Advanced Search

Just starting out with Mum's estate

8 replies 583 views
I am acting as executor of my mothers estate. My sister and I are joint benefactors as named in Mum's will. There is a house which I have 3 probate valuations for ( 330K, 335K and 350K) and about 45K in bank and building society accounts. As my Father died 32 years ago and left his share of everything to Mum I'm guessing we can use his inheritance tax allowance. All sounds simple enough. How do I make sure I am using my Dad's allowance? Also Barclays and Santander have already sent me Mum's money as it is below their probate threshold. Do I still have to include this in the final probate amount or can I tick those off my list?
Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    the money from the accounts is part of the estate and would be included in the IHT assessment amount 
    the use of other inheritance tax allowances I think  accounted for as you complete the form online

• edited 14 August at 10:34AM
    DoxDox Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 August at 10:34AM
    longman27 said:
    I am acting as executor of my mothers estate. My sister and I are joint benefactors as named in Mum's will. There is a house which I have 3 probate valuations for ( 330K, 335K and 350K) and about 45K in bank and building society accounts. As my Father died 32 years ago and left his share of everything to Mum I'm guessing we can use his inheritance tax allowance. All sounds simple enough. How do I make sure I am using my Dad's allowance? 
    You can, and the relevant IHT allowance to be used for your dad is at the date of your mother's death. You need to claim this using the relevant form: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inheritance-tax-claim-to-transfer-unused-nil-rate-band-iht402
  • parcivalparcival Forumite
    722 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes, include everything, house value and the savings accounts.
    I did similar very recently (amounts almost identical). I did everything on-line starting with the IHT which conveniently asks if you are claiming unused allowance from another deceased person which you are. At the end of that it gave me the total value of the estate but confirmed no IHT due (as I was claiming for deceased father who died 6 years ago). At the end it gave an IHT reference number which was requested during the on-line probate application.
    Probate done on-line and the system produces a cover sheet which you print and send with the will as shown. Make sure you send that and the original will by Royal Mail SPECIAL DELIVERY.
    Good luck......
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sister and I are joint benefactors as named in Mum's will. 

Mum is the benefactor, you are the beneficiaries.

• longman27longman27 Forumite
    8 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your tips. With a couple of calls to the very patient people at the hmrc helpline I've completed the forms. Bit of a shame I won't get Mum's will back but I think we can get copies.
    Thanks again. If I can do it anyone can.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don’t actually need your father’s allowances as you mother’s estate also has the residential NRB which takes her tax free allowance up to £500k.
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    longman27 said:
    Thanks for your tips. With a couple of calls to the very patient people at the hmrc helpline I've completed the forms. Bit of a shame I won't get Mum's will back but I think we can get copies.
    I agree - I got some copies before I sent it, also got a copy certified by a solictor (cost £5) just in case the original  got lost in the process.  
  • JollyLadyJollyLady Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts
    longman27 said:
    Yes that bothered me, doing the same thing, that the will is theirs, a public document. Meant a lot to me as a document x