Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Travel Insurance - Part payout on villa deposit

New Post Advanced Search

Travel Insurance - Part payout on villa deposit

6 replies 41 views
Hi,

Obviously our holiday this year was cancelled, I'd paid a deposit for a villa, the villa owners refused to return the deposit when we couldnt travel due to covid. I went through my travel insurance to get the money back, however as the villa was booked for 8 people, they have only paid out for myself and my partner, stating the other guest need to claim on their insurance.

However the booking details just say my name + 7 guests, there's no names of other guests, and in fact no one else was going to be paying (although not sure that changes anything). I fail to see how my other guests could claim on their insurance for a villa they didnt pay for and have no documentation to say they were expecting to travel to. I could maybe understand if the booking documents listed each guest by name. I've raised a complain, but its been 3 weeks without any response.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Should I try claiming through my credit card provider?

Thanks.

Replies

  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Travel insurance is normally done on a per person basis and it doesnt really matter if the holiday is paid for by the traveller, a gift or a payment in kind etc.

    If the two of you were just wanting a lot of space then you would be entitled to claim back 50% each (or 100% in one go if its a joint policy). The challenge will be evidencing that it was indeed just the two of you travelling... if its 8 people villa is that a 4 bedroom place? Why did you book such a place for a couple needing just 1 bedroom presumably?  Do you have any evidence that you did book it as 2 people travelling or has all the evidence ignored what you requested and only shown maximum occupancy?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can show that you paid for the villa and there was no expectation of payment from others towards it you may have a case.  If that is the situation it may be worth asking insurer to reconsider.  If you get no success, it may be worth considering taking to it the relevant ombudsman.  Financial Services Ombudsman I think.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
     If you get no success, it may be worth considering taking to it the relevant ombudsman.  Financial Services Ombudsman I think.
    You can only take it to the FOS after the sooner of:
    a) Receiving a final response which confirms your rights to go to FOS
    b) 8 weeks have passed since your complaint was received
  • subby1subby1 Forumite
    4 posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sandtree said:
    Travel insurance is normally done on a per person basis and it doesnt really matter if the holiday is paid for by the traveller, a gift or a payment in kind etc.

    If the two of you were just wanting a lot of space then you would be entitled to claim back 50% each (or 100% in one go if its a joint policy). The challenge will be evidencing that it was indeed just the two of you travelling... if its 8 people villa is that a 4 bedroom place? Why did you book such a place for a couple needing just 1 bedroom presumably?  Do you have any evidence that you did book it as 2 people travelling or has all the evidence ignored what you requested and only shown maximum occupancy?

    The villa was booked as a gift for my family, I appreciate they probably dont care that it was a gift and i was going to be paying 100% of it. The issue is there's no other proof for my other family members to claim, the booking details literally just state my name and it being booked for 7 adults + 1 child. It would be like me sending you the booking document and you trying to claim, your insurer will want something showing you were actually expecting to travel. At least thats what I would expect.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    subby1 said:
    The villa was booked as a gift for my family, I appreciate they probably dont care that it was a gift and i was going to be paying 100% of it. The issue is there's no other proof for my other family members to claim, the booking details literally just state my name and it being booked for 7 adults + 1 child. It would be like me sending you the booking document and you trying to claim, your insurer will want something showing you were actually expecting to travel. At least thats what I would expect.
    So if there were other family members going then they should claim off of their insurance for their proportion... presumably they can evidence that they were travelling by way of flights etc? If they repay you with the money afterwards is between you guys.

    There may be some challenges with their claims but its not uncommon for villas etc only to take the name of the lead passenger and so they will be used to dealing with these scenarios.
  • edited 7 August at 7:48PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 August at 7:48PM
    The trip should have been covered by a group insurance policy. Insurance companies need to charge premiums proportionate to the risk they are covering.  Otherwise there'd be an automatic circumnavigation by default. With one party footing the bill. 

    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support