Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Buildings insurance - Full time student

New Post Advanced Search

Buildings insurance - Full time student

2 replies 31 views
My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home.  We are hoping to exchange contracts in the next two weeks so we’re naturally looking for buildings insurance. 
I have a few quotes and decided to go with Aviva because I have life and car insurance with them so the discount made it very reasonable.  
This evening I went back into my account to retrieve the quote and change something small and I noticed that one of the assumptions was that the policy holder is NOT a full time student.  I work full time and my husband is a full time student.
when I tried to alter this assumption the policy was declined.
I’m not wondering whether we are likely to have the same issue with any house insurance quote and if so, is it possibly to simply put the policy in only my name? Or will it be a problem that someone in the property is a full time student? Surely this is a huge issue for anyone with older children who go to college/university? 
Please help! 

Replies

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you been through the usual comparison sites? I'd have thought they'd filter out any insurers who were fussy about this.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You need to read the exact question/assumption and check how it applies. If it states that no policyholder is a full time student then you can get the policy in only one name. If it states no one living in the property is a full time student then changing policyholders won't help.

I'd be tempted to phone them and discuss as if its the former it seems a little pointless given how easy it is to circumvent.