New Post Advanced Search

Fence issues

4 replies 181 views
My neighbour's asked if he could take an old shed of mine down as the back was unsightly, and put up a new fence, neither him or my self know whos boundry line it is, as its at the bottom of both  are gardens, the shed was there when I brought the property on the boundary line, I said  I was planning to take it down at some point, and would probably  be putting a fence up as I didn't want an open garden, but I was not sure when I would be able to and my neighbour's was not willing to wait, and said why cant he do it now as he was willing to pay for it, my issue was I would be able to paint my fence and couldn't if it was his fence, so he said if I say you can paint it can I take the shed down and put up a fence, so I said yes, he put up a lovely fence, and I painted it every year for last 5 years, painted if this year and hes complaining about it, paint has not gone though to his side, when I asked him why he had a problem he said he does not remember giving me permission to paint it, where do I stand

Replies

• ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    537 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    cazzell69 said:
    I painted it every year for last 5 years, painted if this year and hes complaining about it, paint has not gone though to his side, when I asked him why he had a problem he said he does not remember giving me permission to paint it, where do I stand
    If you are just painting your side, he cannot see it. Just paint it when he is not at home?

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put up your own fence and paint it as often as you like. 
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does he explain what is upsetting him about you painting your side? Is the fence warping? 

It’s possible that some paint is coming through. Have you seen the fence from his side? 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most likely cause for complaint is that the colour used by the OP isn't the same as that used by the neighbour who erected the fence.  Streaks running down can look really bad.  Simplest solution would be to check what colour the neighbour uses and stick to that in future.  There may not have been a problem in previous years if the fence was absorbing more paint, or less paint was being used.