House Insurance for a Rental property accidentally continued

New Post Advanced Search

House Insurance for a Rental property accidentally continued

4 replies 71 views
dannyrichardsdannyrichards Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
3 years ago I left a rental property to move to another.  Connells was the estate agent.  At the time I had house insurance through them via AGEAS.
I've been quite stupid in not realising this has continued. (one saving grace of having more time on my hands in this pandemic).  I did note the transaction on my bank but thought it was related to my existing property.  I intend to call tomorrow to cancel.  Do I have any come back or grounds in recouping the money that has been spent?  Especially as it's likely that the new occupant would have the same insurance for that property?

Replies

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it.  No harm in asking I suppose, but expect them to claim that they've provided cover so there's nothing to refund.
    I don't think double insurance is actually illegal, in which case neither party has done anything wrong.  The reasons to avoid it are generally to do with complications in the event of a claim, so it's certainly not advisable.  But claim issues are irrelevant in this case.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I have any come back or grounds in recouping the money that has been spent?  

No. Although you may well get a goodwill gesture if you can prove the dates you move and that you had alternative cover elsewhere.

Especially as it's likely that the new occupant would have the same insurance for that property?

That is irrelevant.  It is your policy. Not theirs. Even though you moved house and failed to notify them of change of address,  insurers have been known to apply their cover and payout claims to the new address as long as it was a similar property risk.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dannyrichardsdannyrichards Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Really appreciate the responses.  Thank you.  I'll post the result as it comes through!
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be slightly more optimistic but it will depend on the agent you get. Obviously put your hands up to it being totally your fault and put throw yourself on their mercy. I would hope you'd at least get this years premiums refunded... getting all three years is fairly unlikely but have heard of weirder things happen.