New Post Advanced Search

Old credit card debts

3 replies 171 views
I am sorting out an estate where the deceased had two very old credit card debts, possibly 10+ years old.
It seems the debts had been sold on to "Link Financial" and "Hoist" debt companies and were being paid off at a nominal amount of just £5 or £10 per month with no interest being added on. Should I take the figure owed at face value and add them to the list of debts to be settled or should I request some paperwork to prove that these are debts that are genuinely owed? I am sure the deceased knew exactly what these were but as an outsider looking in I have no way of knowing if the amounts they are quoting for settlement are correct or not? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should write to the creditors informing them of the death including a copy of the death certificate. Ask for a final statement of accounts.

If there is a reasonable chance that the estate is insolvent then you should seriously consider not getting involved. 
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

If there is a reasonable chance that the estate is insolvent then you should seriously consider not getting involved. 
    Probably a bit late for that - sounds like OP is already involved.
  • beavere38beavere38 Forumite
    50 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    The estate is not insolvent. I just wanted to know if I should ask for original credit agreements or something else official proving that these debts are correct or just take them at face value and arrange to pay them in due course.