New Post Advanced Search

Placing notice in London Gazette and local paper

8 replies 231 views
Is it necessary to place notices in the London Gazette and a local paper?
My father had no debts that any of the family members could recall but I suppose that there could of course be some family members that could come out of the woodwork and claim they were unaware of his estate being wound up.
I would be interested to hear how other folks going through this process have arrived at there decisions.

Replies

• MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with woodwork is that it can yield woodworm who are lured out when alerted to any possibility of claiming cash. If you are planning to buy executor insurance (to cover the appearance of random woodworm), you may find it impossible - or prohibitively expensive - if you've not advertised. If on the other hand the executors are the main beneficiaries and are prepared to take their chances/repay cash if any genuine creditors pop up years down the line, advertising may not be necessary.

It's interesting that you refer to 'family members' - was your father in the habit of borrowing money from the family? If on the other hand you are concerned about a challenge under the Inheritance Acts, the time limit runs from when probate is granted (six months), and advertising isn't required.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't put notices in the papers when Dad died because I had been handling the finances for years and knew there were no outstanding debts. 
    Surely family members are more likely to find out about his death through the family grapevine than through a notice in the Gazette?
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    979 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I had (and used) Enduring Power of Attorney for my father for a couple of years before his death in June.  I sold his house prior to his death and am sure that I know he only has creditors - pension payments that are being painfully slow in sorting themselves out.... but that's a different story!
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £503/366...
  • w0nKyw0nKy Forumite
    13 posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post
    Marcon said:
    The trouble with woodwork is that it can yield woodworm who are lured out when alerted to any possibility of claiming cash. If you are planning to buy executor insurance (to cover the appearance of random woodworm), you may find it impossible - or prohibitively expensive - if you've not advertised. If on the other hand the executors are the main beneficiaries and are prepared to take their chances/repay cash if any genuine creditors pop up years down the line, advertising may not be necessary.

It's interesting that you refer to 'family members' - was your father in the habit of borrowing money from the family? If on the other hand you are concerned about a challenge under the Inheritance Acts, the time limit runs from when probate is granted (six months), and advertising isn't required.
    No, quite the opposite in fact.
    He had no debts at all. He had no need to borrow from any lender at all for a great many years.
    The most likely thing to happen is as someone mentioned that family members will come calling I think.
    I just wondered if it was mandatory but having read more online it seems that professional people do it to cover themselves.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt because of (a) the delay, (b) i knew my mums finances and knew it wasn't necessary, and (c) should someone claim (validly) later then the beneficiaries would need to cough up and as the executor/beneficiary it made no difference.AFAIK you cant absolve yourslef of paying a debt just because somone didnt read the gazette or local paper.
    I guess there's also (d) as above, you might get invalid / fraudulent claims and certainly i can imagine a slew of unwanted spam of all sorts - calls, post, email depending what detaisl you gave.
  • NinjaTuneNinjaTune Forumite
    230 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I placed a notice in the Gazette, but not the local papers.  The main reason for that was the cost - around £88 for the Gazette but over £200 if I wanted local papers as well.

I placed the notice mainly to dot the i's and cross the t's - I'd have been very surprised if Dad had any debts.  

As @AnotherJoe says, I was half expecting a fraudulent claim but all I got was letters from 3 property developers wanting to buy the house. 
    House Deposit Challenge
    Have £8,000 towards deposit by July 2021
    Current savings:
    ISA 1 £2,000
    ISA 2 £250
    EMA £750
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The notice in the gazette projects the executors in case an unknown creditor come chasing you up to 6 years after the death, however it does not protect the residuary beneficiaries so if those beneficiaries are also the executors I would not bother with either.
  • EasySolutionEasySolution Forumite
    34 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    NinjaTune said:

As @AnotherJoe says, I was half expecting a fraudulent claim but all I got was letters from 3 property developers wanting to buy the house. 

It is always amusing when Property Developers offer to buy the Care Home.!