Ebay withheld funds chicken and egg scenario

2»

Replies

• billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    661 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Update. 

The funds were paid after the 'holding period'. 

Unfortunately there has been no update on the international tracking since last time (mid July). 
    As such, the international buyer opened a case against me and won so as it stands I have no item and no money. I gave the buyer and eBay the tracking details and linked them to where it clearly states the buyers home country is experiencing severe delays in their postal service due to Covid. 
    eBay couldn't care less. They said if the item arrives and is signed for in the future, 'ask' the buyer to pay for the item lol. 
    Far be it from me to advise a huge company like eBay on their policies and procedures but I did none the less. I asked why covid and postal problems haven't led them to extending the period before a buyer can claim their money back. Nothing came back from that comment as to be expected. 

Of course the reality  with covid is, nobody signs these days so the buyer will never have to pay anything. 

The items value is over £100 and I paid extra to the royal mail for insurance. I've instigated a claim but I can not provide a recipient for the item to prove its original cost . So it looks like I may just be entitled to £11 postage which makes a mockery of insuring it in the first place.  The post office kept that stipulation quiet when 'upselling ' insurance. 

I guess I'm pretty much finished with trying to get my money back from ebay/the buyer?

And royal mail?
  • noitsnotmenoitsnotme Forumite
    485 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭

The items value is over £100 and I paid extra to the royal mail for insurance. I've instigated a claim but I can not provide a recipient for the item to prove its original cost . 
    You should be able to provide Royal Mail with a screenshot of the eBay sale showing how much you sold it for and they should reimburse you for the sale price.  At least that's how it worked last time I claimed for something I sold through a personal eBay account (its a different story if you're a business seller as RM will only reimburse cost price).
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The items value is over £100 and I paid extra to the royal mail for insurance. I've instigated a claim but I can not provide a recipient for the item to prove its original cost . 
    You should be able to provide Royal Mail with a screenshot of the eBay sale showing how much you sold it for and they should reimburse you for the sale price.  At least that's how it worked last time I claimed for something I sold through a personal eBay account (its a different story if you're a business seller as RM will only reimburse cost price).
    I agree, if a private seller then ebay usually accept a print out or screen shot of the ebay item page showing the sale and sale price, plus a copy of the paypal page so item was refunded in full. It might be worth going back to RM as they even have a special box on their claim form to indicate it is an ebay item.

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    68.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Update. 

The funds were paid after the 'holding period'. 

Unfortunately there has been no update on the international tracking since last time (mid July). 
    As such, the international buyer opened a case against me and won so as it stands I have no item and no money. I gave the buyer and eBay the tracking details and linked them to where it clearly states the buyers home country is experiencing severe delays in their postal service due to Covid. 
    eBay couldn't care less. They said if the item arrives and is signed for in the future, 'ask' the buyer to pay for the item lol. 
    Far be it from me to advise a huge company like eBay on their policies and procedures but I did none the less. I asked why covid and postal problems haven't led them to extending the period before a buyer can claim their money back. Nothing came back from that comment as to be expected. 

Of course the reality  with covid is, nobody signs these days so the buyer will never have to pay anything. 

The items value is over £100 and I paid extra to the royal mail for insurance. I've instigated a claim but I can not provide a recipient for the item to prove its original cost . So it looks like I may just be entitled to £11 postage which makes a mockery of insuring it in the first place.  The post office kept that stipulation quiet when 'upselling ' insurance. 

I guess I'm pretty much finished with trying to get my money back from ebay/the buyer?

And royal mail?
    You sent the item on the 11th July and we are now in September, whilst I agree that ebay do need to perhaps address the issue of late post- I can't see that it would be considered reasonable to make buyer wait for a considerable length of time before refunding . If ebay /paypal weren't refunding then possibly (depending on relevant country laws etc) the credit card or issuing bank would be reclaiming. Hopefully you refunded before the case was escalated to an ebay decision as then you will get your FVFs back, but unfortunately not your paypal fees. If you allowed the claim to time out in buyers favour you lose the lot.

Hopefully now you have reset your auctions to disallow overseas buyers - I am an experienced seller with well over 20 years of selling behind me and currently only ship internationally via GSP, even for UK buyers I have my dispatch time set to 2 working days whilst still posting same or next day just to prevent as many lates as I can. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    661 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. 

Maybe I read it wrong but on the RM claim form I'm sure it asked for a purchase receipt.

I responded to the eBay case the next day, reconfirming tracking details and a screenshot showing the problem with the buyers home country Postal service. The claim says 'found in favour as no tracking info given'. 

I spoke to eBay on the phone and they confirmed my tracking info was submitted. 

Not a lot I can do now I suppose. Live and learn is the long and short of this. 
    68.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. 

Maybe I read it wrong but on the RM claim form I'm sure it asked for a purchase receipt.

I responded to the eBay case the next day, reconfirming tracking details and a screenshot showing the problem with the buyers home country Postal service. The claim says 'found in favour as no tracking info given'. 

I spoke to eBay on the phone and they confirmed my tracking info was submitted. 

Not a lot I can do now I suppose. Live and learn is the long and short of this. 
    That means buyer won the case, you didn't resolve it in ebay's eyes. Tracking didn't show delivery which is why the message shows as it did. That also means you have lost your FVFs, your paypal fees and you have a defect- so take care for the next year or so as one more defect could see you restricted.  
    New to Forum? Guide
  • hermantehermante Forumite
    523 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Submitting the ebay sale page is enough to get RM to pay out, done it twice recently.