Buyer states item wasn’t in package, but it’s outer packaging was

Hello all,

Hoping someone can give some advice! This is for a mini size makeup item (like the size of a £2 coin size). I sold the item and sent it signed for delivery in a foil tightly sealed Jiffy bag. (Sold for £15 including postage) 
buyer messaged a week later with The following message which I’m abit sceptical about. I asked them to send me a photo of the packaging as it was received, they sent me a Photo of the Jiffy bag and empty box. They have messaged again since and asked if I had contacted Royal Mail yet. What can I do about this? It seems unbelievable to me that someone would go to the effort to take the tiny make up item out of its box (tiny and fiddly box) then place the empty box back inside the jiffy bag

Replies

• edited 30 July 2020 at 4:50PM
    Mr_TeenyMr_Teeny Forumite
    13 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2020 at 4:50PM
    What's the buyer's feedback like? You'd be surprised of the number of buyers who don't follow things up when they're asked to put the matter through eBay's resolution centre. At the end of the day they'd win an eBay dispute so you'll have to refund them and take up the matter with RM regarding any compensation, just make sure it goes thru the resolution centre so you get your fees refunded and it's also noted on their account in case they have packages opened a lot.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would tell them that they need to open a dispute in eBay and in the mean time you'll speak to RM and get them to start investigating. State that they will then need to send the box and packaging back.

It doesn't exactly seem feasible that someone would open it, take the item then close the box. It's not exactly the sort of thing someone would steal!?!?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Thank you both for your replies :)
    Which case should I ask them to open? Wouldn’t I win a not received case as the tracking would show delivered as I guess the postie signed it? You’re right it doesn’t seem a target item and it would be a faff to even open the box, why not just take the whole thing 😩

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both for your replies :)
    Which case should I ask them to open? Wouldn’t I win a not received case as the tracking would show delivered as I guess the postie signed it? You’re right it doesn’t seem a target item and it would be a faff to even open the box, why not just take the whole thing 😩

Just ask them to open a case.  If they open an INR they will lose but they will soon realise they can open a SNAD and win.