Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

PIP advice following a mandatory reconsideration

New Post Advanced Search

PIP advice following a mandatory reconsideration

15 replies 517 views
Hi,
My daughter had her face to face assessment earlier this year. She had previously been awarded (following a tribunal) enhanced rate for daily living and standard for mobility. This assessment was for a renewal. She was turned down....she scored 6 points on daily living and 4 on mobility. I challenged this decision via a mandatory reconsideration. Today I received a letter which says “thank you for asking us to look again at your decision however we cannot pay you PIP for daily living or mobility. I was ready once again to begin the appeal process, however, her points have increased to 9 for daily living and 8 for mobility which should mean she qualifies for standard rate on both....am I right? I tried all afternoon to get through on the phone with no joy. I’m just confused as to why they say they cannot award her but the threshold is 8-11 points for standard rate.

Replies

• edited 28 July at 10:23PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 July at 10:23PM
    You are right. 9 points for Daily Living and 8 points for Mobility would be Standard State both.
    Even if you get this corrected if you think the award is incorrect and should be enhanced rate for either you can still appeal it and let a tribunal make a determination.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • edited 28 July at 10:27PM
    MuttleythefrogMuttleythefrog Forumite
    19K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 July at 10:27PM
    This is curious... I think you are right.. I wonder if they've made some mistake either with the descriptors or the letter. Be interested to see what users advise. Check there isn't any caveat like on durability of disability that is stated as preventing award. I'd be inclined to call them up (on her behalf) and point out to them the apparent anomaly and if they can send the decision out correctly (which would also surely have to include some period of award). Obviously once they get this clarified you can then take decision on whether to appeal.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standard in both parts yes. However, does it state why she can't be awraded it? Does it say anything about her conditions not expected to last for at least 9 months? If so then even though she scored the points, there's no award because to qualify for PIP as well as having the conditions for at least 3 months, you must expect them to last at least a further 9 months.
    Please have another read of the decision letter and it may say something like this.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is curious... I think you are right.. I wonder if they've made some mistake either with the descriptors or the letter. Be interested to see what users advise. 
    In my opinion it is more likely to be the opening statement that is incorrect.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Funkyfairy_2Funkyfairy_2 Forumite
    8 posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If this is right I wouldn’t appeal. Even though she is no different now than 3 years ago, the appeal process is awful.
    Its strange because in the evaluation it states that they’re in agreement with the points I raised in the MR which make me think that she will be getting but the wording contradicts this. She hasn’t had PIP now since April 8th 
    8 posts
    Standard in both parts yes. However, does it state why she can't be awraded it? Does it say anything about her conditions not expected to last for at least 9 months? If so then even though she scored the points, there's no award because to qualify for PIP as well as having the conditions for at least 3 months, you must expect them to last at least a further 9 months.
    Please have another read of the decision letter and it may say something like this.
    No nothing at all. She has arthritis and has had it since she was 1 and will be 20 this year....it’s just strange.
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember these letters are cut and paste template letters so mistakes do happen. Keep trying to get through.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She hasn’t had PIP now since April 8th 

Then backdated money would be owed, which is usually received before the decision letter. If there's no backdated money then there's unlikely to be an award but we could only guess what has happened.
    Phone lines are extremely busy at the moment and waiting times for calls are very long, you'll just have to continue to ring them until they answer because they are the only ones that can tell you what's going on.
    8 posts
    I’ll be trying again tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed for a good result 🤞
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ll be trying again tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed for a good result 🤞
    Good luck. Please come back and let us know the outcome.