So I bought a second-hand car part from a reputable eBay shop.

It is common for the car parts to be offered only as an exchange purchase (ie they send you the new one and you send your old broken one back).

As I needed the part ASAP, I paid a £300 deposit to get the part first before sending my old one back (as it was still in the engine at this point).

This was paid through PayPal (although not on my credit card for some odd reason, my bad!).

I now have the old broken pot ready to send back to the seller.... However, so far they haven't provided their postal details... 

If they don't, what options do I have (I'm sure they will, just getting my ducks in order, just in case).

Secondly, it did say that the item I am sending back needs to be fitted together. The item itself is broken. It is a complex item that I was hardly going to pay the mechanic to fix (being broken). They would have probably refused anyway. Is the eBay shop entitled to refuse the exchange?

Replies

• edited 26 July 2020 at 5:25PM
    theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2020 at 5:25PM
    I don't buy car parts but this isn't how ebay works - you generally agree to buy something, pay for it and receive it. 

You paid £300 via Paypal?  How did you pay this - friends and family or a services/named item?

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy car parts but this isn't how ebay works - you generally agree to buy something, pay for it and receive it. 

You paid £300 via Paypal?  How did you pay this - friends and family or a services/named item?

I wasn’t sure whether to comment or not as I have no knowledge at all of common car sale parts procedures. However, it would be my understanding that requiring a deposit would be against eBay t and cs and it seems strange that any seller would get away for any length of time trying to operate like this on eBay.   As per theonlywayisup, how did you make your PayPal payment and what did you actually pay for? 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Burnsie1983Burnsie1983 Forumite
    67 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Thanks for comments all.

I needed the part which is why I paid the upfront fee. I paid using an email address on PayPal.

The "deposit" is more about the returning the other item. I don't know. Seems a lot use that type of system 
  • Burnsie1983Burnsie1983 Forumite
    67 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Just to add, I didn't have to pay the £300 to get the item. I could have waited.... But the garage needed it and wouldn't book my car in until they got the item (which makes sense). 

Not sure what had happened if I didn't pay it (as I could have waited) and not sent the old one back.

As I said, I'd still hope the ebayer will respond