New Post Advanced Search

Deprivation of capital

5 replies 401 views
Hi all,

How much is classed as deprivation of capital?

Since my claim in April, my savings have reduced by £1650 (still above £6000 and below £16000).

I have told universal credit about this and I now have a phone appointment as they need evidence of my savings (I have no problem providing this).

The money has been used on daily living for bills and food for us and our cat and also for uniform, shoes, football boots, trainers, bags and stationary etc for my son starting secondary school (this all ads up!) There have been some purchases such as things for the garden which probably we're not necessary, will any of this be classed as deprivation of capital? (Especially the non essential garden purchases).

Another question, as you may remember I have found a job starting in September.  I had a phone call from a different work coach last week because my normal one is on holiday. She is aware I have a job but said she will still call me each week to see how I'm getting on. She is aware I can't work during the summer holidays because of child care so does anyone know why she may want to keep in touch each week?

Thanks

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no specific criteria to deprivation of capital but i would have thought normal everyday things such as what you've mentioned above will be fine. Deprivation of capital is more like buying the most expensive things like for example a car or if you went on the most expensive holiday etc.
    The reason your work coach is ringing you is most likely because it's part of your claimant commitment. Although you have a job lined up for September, it's only July. It will also depend on the age of your child, whether they would accept the childcare issues. Sorry can't remember the age of your child.
  • hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    They won't ask you for detailed information on your spending.  They just want basic information, just to check that the spending is not unreasonable.  For example, if you told them you had just installed a hot tub in the garden, just bought a sports car, when you already had a car, that would not be seen as reasonable usage of capital.   And of course they want current details of your capital savings and investments, so have all statements, share certificates etc to hand when you are asked for this information.

Where you have found a job not starting in the next week or two, they will still have regular contact with you before the start date, just to have a chat about how you are preparing for the start date.  For example, if you needed Childcare, have you made arrangements, if so, what are the Childcare providers requirements ( they may want payment upfront).   It is not unknown for people to be offered start dates by employers in say a month or two months time and to then withdraw the offer, saying circumstances have changed.   And depending on you age and circumstances, the Work Coach may feel that you should be supported during this time, just to make sure you are totally ready to start work in September.  Some people also back out of starting jobs for many different reasons and perhaps a a chat with a Work Coach may help avoid this, if it is possible.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • edited 26 July at 11:25AM
    CheecheeCheechee Forumite
    48 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 26 July at 11:25AM
    Thanks Poppy and Huckster

My son is 11.  Fingers crossed that my new job don't take the offer away. It's a school and everything is so uncertain with Corona virus!!

Thanks for your help
  • srpsrpsrpsrp Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    On the BBC programme about Universal Credit (before the coronavirus) they said they had a target to ring new claimants once a week for the first three months,  that might explain it?

By the way deprivation of capital is a very grey area I think. I spent quite a lot on large single sum payments.  They just asked me what I'd spent it on but that's going back a few years.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Savings reducing by £1650 in about 13 weeks certainly doesn't seem excessive and is unlikely to be an issue.