Left uni benefit entitlement .

New Post Advanced Search

Left uni benefit entitlement .

7 replies 301 views
denise38denise38 Forumite
420 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
my daughter has just completed her degree and moved in with her partner . She worked while at uni and they furloughed her despite having zero hours contract . Her work will not restart till next year as it’s a theatre and her furlough is finishing . She has been looking for work but there is nothing . Her partner finished uni 2 years ago and has worked off and on . She had just started a new job prior to pandemic and wasn’t entitled to furlough so she has had zero money . Her parents bought her a flat  when she was at uni so they have no rent mortgage but  they still have to live and pay council tax etc . Her partner was denied UC initially . Are they entitled to any help until they can get work . Never had to claim before so I don’t know where to direct them other than citizens advice . 
I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!

Replies

• KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    All depends on why the partner was denied UC. Was this a recent refusal or a while back? Have they made a recent claim? 

The post is hard to follow as its difficult to work out which she is your daughter and which she is the partner. It may be that your daughter is still currently classed as a student until end of the ‘academic year’ but her partner should be entitled if out of work with no savings. 

If both daughter and partner are not working then they should be entitled to some UC. When will the partner go back to work? 
  • edited 26 July at 9:12AM
    hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July at 9:12AM
    Denise, you have made over 400 posts to this site. Please read what you posted and ask yourself whether anyone could answer this, when you have provided so little information. Sometimes if the issue involves other people, it is best if they joined this forum and posted their own questions. And then if they kept following answers, providing more information when required, they might end up knowing how to progress a Benefits claim. If your Daughter is now living with an unemployed partner, then it is up to them to see what Benefits they can claim. Perhaps they should start by using an online Benefit calculator. Sites such as Entitledto or Turn2us.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a lot of these threads... my friend or my son or daughter etc etc. If they wanted advice surely they should do that theirself.
  • denise38denise38 Forumite
    420 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The girls have sought advice from benefits but are getting no where . Daughters partner was turned down at start of the pandemic As she didn’t qualify for universal credit . Apparently she was told she hadn’t  paid enough national insurance which seems a lot of nonsense . Daughter wasn’t living with her then she was still at her student accom till lease was up . I came on here to ask advice because they are frustrated And getting nowhere . Girls are unlikely to be returning to work in near future as they work in theatre and film industry as careers and second jobs . My daughter has furlough till next month and by then she will not be classed as a student something I hadn’t thought of despite having “ graduated “ in July . Her partner is in process of submitting a new claim . She had just accepted she wasn’t entitled to anything as had her parents . Never having claimed I wasn’t aware there was now no such thing as job seekers and advises girls to ask for help at citizens advice . Normally wouldn’t be a problem but with pandemic even that help hasn’t been readily available . 
    I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your post still isn't making a lot of sense. Lack of paragraphs isn't helping.
    The only benefit they maybe able to claim is Universal Credit but the person who's a student won't be able to claim until the course offically ends. If they are living as couple then they will need to claim as a couple. Once she's no longer a student they will be entitled to £488.59 per month, if they are both under 25. If at least one of them is over 25 then they will be entitled to £594.04 per month.
    Do be aware that those amounts will be about £85 less form April 2021 because they have been increased due to Covid19.
    They will not be entitled to help with any rent because the house is owned.
    Any earnings received during their monthly assessment period will reduce their UC by 63% for every £1 they earn.
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your daughters partner applied for new style JSA, not universal credit.

JSA takes into account NI contributions, UC does not. So she’s confused about what she applied for, or you are getting mixed messages.

the girls need to apply for UC as a couple, giving their accurate circumstances. Someone is making this much more complicated than it needs to be. 
  • sammyjammysammyjammy Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If one of them is receiving furlough payments this will impact any entitlement ot UC, how much are they receiving?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "