Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Benefits Entitlement for Parents

New Post Advanced Search

Benefits Entitlement for Parents

12 replies 601 views
Hi,
Please can anyone advise me, i have a question on behalf of my parents regarding benefit entitlement.
My father got told by his employer that his part-time contract would not be renewed and he's been out of a job since start of July.  He is at the pension age (67).  He has receieved State Pension in 2018.  State Pension was not much.  There is no benefits that my father claims.  My father is asking me now that he is unemployed is there any benefit entitlement he can receive?  
My mother for health reasons cannot work, she cannot stand or walk for a long periods.  She used to work as a dinner lady but this was over 10 years ago.  Since then she developed health issues and not worked.  She has never claimed any benefits.  Is she entitled to any benefits?  
My parents live alone and i'm worried that they will struggle to pay the bills so i am just wondering if they can recieve any benefits to help them?
Thanks

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they renting or home owners? Any private pensions?
    How old is your mother as this would impact on what she may be able to claim.
    They should put their circumstances into one of the benefits calculators on entitledto or turn2 us.
    On the face of it, dad may be able to look at pension credit. The rest will be determined by the circumstances. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Killa_byteKilla_byte Forumite
    29 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    elsien said:
    Are they renting or home owners? Any private pensions?
    How old is your mother as this would impact on what she may be able to claim.
    They should put their circumstances into one of the benefits calculators on entitledto or turn2 us.
    On the face of it, dad may be able to look at pension credit. The rest will be determined by the circumstances. 
    The home owners - mortage has been paid but my dad said he will struggle with bills like council tax, utility bills etc 
    my mum is 63 so a few years away from retirement age.
    I have not tried any online benefit calculators yet, i have some free time this weekend to look so will check then.

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head, Mum could look at ESA and PIP.
    Dad could look at pension credit. Potentially also council tax reduction - check with the local council with regards to that. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

29 posts
    elsien said:
    Dad could look at pension credit. Potentially also council tax reduction - check with the local council with regards to that. 

Awesome.  I'll have a read into ESA and PIP.
    I'll check and see if my father can get the pension credit / council tax reduction.  
    Really appreciate your help!  :)
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ETA - I may be out of date because Universal credit has changed a lot of things. That's why I suggested the benefits calculator as a starting point. 

• pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As they are a 'mixed aged couple' (ie your mum is not yet of pension age) then they will have to claim Universal Credit.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-And-Pension-Age
    So, they need to apply for Universal Credit - online application.  If your mum is unable to work then she should provide a fit note note from her doctor (the old sick note) and then she would be subject to a work capability assessment.  Depending on the severity of her disabilities this may give them extra money.
    So,
    Universal Credit
    PIP 
    Council Tax Support ( application to their local council - separate from Universal Credit)
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will not be possible to claim ESA because she hasn't worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. If they don't already claim pension credit then they won't be able to claim this now because of thew mixed aged couples rule.

The only benefit that they will be able to claim is Universal Credit. As your dad is of pension age he will not be expected to look for work but his pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As they are home owners then because of your dads state pension their UC maybe reduced to zero.

If your mum isn't able to work then she will need to send fit notes to UC to start the Limited capability for work process of. If she is eventually given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) then she will receive the extra £341 per month from the 4th month of her claim.

She can also look at claiming PIP, this isn't means tested so any other income won't affect the amount she can claim. It's awarded based on how her conditions affect her ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    Council tax reduction can be claimed from their local council.

29 posts
    It will not be possible to claim ESA because she hasn't worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. If they don't already claim pension credit then they won't be able to claim this now because of thew mixed aged couples rule.

The only benefit that they will be able to claim is Universal Credit. As your dad is of pension age he will not be expected to look for work but his pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As they are home owners then because of your dads state pension their UC maybe reduced to zero.

If your mum isn't able to work then she will need to send fit notes to UC to start the Limited capability for work process of. If she is eventually given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) then she will receive the extra £341 per month from the 4th month of her claim.

She can also look at claiming PIP, this isn't means tested so any other income won't affect the amount she can claim. It's awarded based on how her conditions affect her ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    Council tax reduction can be claimed from their local council.

thanks @poppy12345 for the detailed answer.  That helps quite a lot.  really appreciate it.   :)
  • edited 23 July at 1:15PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 July at 1:15PM
    OP. poppy has covered it. For the avoidance of doubt even if your mum is found to have LCWRA and the maximum UC entitlement increases by £341/month there may still be nothing payable depending on the amount of pension income. How much is dad's state pension (perception of 'not much' differ!)?

Your mum may wish to get a pension forecast. https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre. If she hasn't been working or claiming anything for 10 years she may be short of years to get a full pension. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RubyroobsRubyroobs Forumite
    302 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    elsien said:

This is wrong advice. As your mum is under State retirement age they are classed as a mixed age couple and would need to claim universal credit. Your mum would only be able to claim contributions based ESA ( called new style ESA )if she has paid sufficient NI contributions in the past 2-3 years which if she hasn't worked for ten years she will not qualify for. Your mum could look at PIP if she feels she meets the criteria.