New Post Advanced Search

New universal credit claim

7 replies 274 views
user58user58 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My daughter lost her job through cut backs at the weekend
She put in a claim for universal credit and then found out she should of put in the claim after receiving her monthly pay next week as it will now be taken into consideration and she will not receive any money till the end of September.
Is she able to cancel the claim and resubmit a new claim after she is paid next week so it does not take her pay into consideration?

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't make any difference even if she did do this. She'll still have the same assessment period dates. There's a lot of people that make this mistake and make a claim before receiving their final pay. If she doesn't have a work allowance then her earnings will reduce her UC entitlement by 63% so her UC could be reduced to zero.
  • user58user58 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It won't make any difference even if she did do this. She'll still have the same assessment period dates. There's a lot of people that make this mistake and make a claim before receiving their final pay. If she doesn't have a work allowance then her earnings will reduce her UC entitlement by 63% so her UC could be reduced to zero.

Why would she have the same assessment period if she submitted a new claim using a different date after she was paid as her new assessment/claim date?
  • edited 23 July at 6:52AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 July at 6:52AM
    Ouser58 said:
    Why would she have the same assessment period if she submitted a new claim using a different date after she was paid as her new assessment/claim date?
    Once a claim is set up if it is closed the system preserves the original assessment periods for the next six months. 
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8501/CBP-8501.pdf
    Once a household’s assessment period dates have been determined, they remain fixed for as long as the household remains entitled to Universal Credit. They cannot ask the DWP to change the assessment period dates. Furthermore, if a household ceases to be entitled to UC or closes their claim, if they then make a new claim for UC the previous assessment period dates apply unless six months or more have elapsed.
    In my opinion there ought to be a warning about this on the UC claim page because it is natural to claim as soon as possible but there is often a delay in getting the final earnings payment. Citizens Advice do include a warning.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/starting-your-universal-credit-claim/
    It can be worth waiting until you get your final wages or any holiday pay from work.
    If you get paid after you apply for Universal Credit, the money will count as income - this means you'll get less in your first Universal Credit payment.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rebsiemrebsiem Forumite
    2 posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have realised that I am in the same position; my job was terminated on the 16th June, and my last payment date was the 25th June, today I find that all the final salary counted against my claim and I will be unable to cover my rent and bills at the end of the month.  I have already taken and advance as I only had 2 weeks final salary for June.

Are there any options available to me?  
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    rebsiem said:
    I have realised that I am in the same position; my job was terminated on the 16th June, and my last payment date was the 25th June, today I find that all the final salary counted against my claim and I will be unable to cover my rent and bills at the end of the month.  I have already taken and advance as I only had 2 weeks final salary for June.

If you have already had your salary and accepted and had the full advance available then no. 

Have you applied for council tax support too? 
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rebsiem said:

Unfortunately not. If you don't receive any earnings in your next assessment period then you will receive your full UC maximum entitement.

• srpsrpsrpsrp Forumite
    23 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    This could be one of the reasons why they did the £20 increase, no one understands the assesment period system.