edited 14 July at 12:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
28 replies 1.1K views
GS..GS.. Forumite
128 posts
10 Posts Photogenic
edited 14 July at 12:49PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Natural butter or low fat margarine?
Edit
Ummm. I need to clarify im looking for the healthy choice, not that you prefer the TASTE or can 'AFFORD butter. I thought it was implied when I compared to "low fat" margarine which all taste !!!!!! I thought was a given. But going forward. Which is your "healthy" choice, because even doctors can't agree between healthy margarine that's full of E's compared with butter which is full of cholesterol. Now I know why legal documents are 15 miles longer than they need to be 😁

Replies

• pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    264 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Butter is better for taste and health.  Low fat margarine is cheaper.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, in my head butter does not qualify for natural, it is made (though there are arguments that anything that exists must be natural too).
    (Yes I understand your take on the word!).

Anyway yes, butter all the was. Salted only though (cut a wedge off unsalted and eat it on it's own. yuck!). Also alway's goat's butter if you can get it.

And yes a butter rapeseed oil mix is ok if you want something spreadable! (other methods of spreadability exist and are probably ok too!).

Why would anyone go near marg?

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carrot007 said:
    Why would anyone go near marg?
    Price is the very obvious answer, or was that a rhetorical question to indicate your superiority?
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butter. Just eat less of it. Although as @Farway says if it’s about price, and the budget is very tight, then marg. which I’d eat less of as I don’t like it 😉
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Butter all the way - it is much better for you.  But i agree that some may not have the luxury..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • edited 14 July at 8:51AM
    BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 8:51AM
    I eat very little and it's just me so I prefer to use butter however I will use margarine on the rare occasion I bake a cake but not low fat marg  :|
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butter. I worked with someone who was part of a team making the stuff with the guy who invented the 'light' spread....He wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, and trusting his judgement, neither would I. I don't like the taste anyway, butter all the way.
    I was intrigued to see one of those ad things which had a lump of differing things, butter, marg and something else, on three plates and ants wouldn't go near the latter two. Just wondering if that's true or not.
  • boazuboazu Forumite
    265 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Butter once in a while for a treat but low fat spread most of the time for health reasons.
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a butter fan myself, use it in cakes for the  superior taste but use it in moderation on bread. I prefer it because it doesn't have all the chemicals and additives of margarine. I do have some olive oil spread in the fridge though, sometimes I have visitors who prefer it. I am disgusted with how the cost of butter has risen over the past couple of years or so, and double cream is too expensive for me to consider making my own. (I have done that and it is a bit of a faff to make a decent enough quantity). I have heard it said that if you have really good bread you don't need butter on it.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • edited 14 July at 12:34PM
    phoebe1989sebphoebe1989seb Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 12:34PM
    I hate the taste of butter and have done since I was probably about three (50 years ago) but do use it in cake making, of which I do loads these days. I can't eat things like shortbread because of the strong buttery taste whereas - imho - it's less obvious in cakes. I use bertolli on bread/baked potatoes.
    :j Mortgage-free for twelve years! :j

:T Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed :T