Electrics: splitting a 230v cable to 2 plugs

2»

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    unforeseen said: I think the op switched off after alter-egos post. 
    They asked a simple question and  then got bombarded with a level of information that would only interest a professional electrician doing a rewire.
    Well, to answer the original question without being technical....

Yes, you can replace a single socket with a double - You can even get front plates for just this job - https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-13a-1g-to-2g-switched-converter-socket-white/108ft

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • I think the op switched off after alter-egos post. 
    They asked a simple question and  then got bombarded with a level of information that would only interest a professional electrician doing a rewire. Most people don't give a toss and wouldn't know in the first place whether they had radial, spur or any other sort of layout of their power circuits or the cable size
    There are probably thousands reading this forum. I am interested, because I was thinking about making my own 8m extension lead, but thought I needed 2.5, but I think buying 1.5 might be ok and work out much cheaper than buying a reading made 10m one.

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There are probably thousands reading this forum. I am interested, because I was thinking about making my own 8m extension lead, but thought I needed 2.5, but I think buying 1.5 might be ok and work out much cheaper than buying a reading made 10m one.

You won't even fit a 2.5mm² cable into most plugs. They should be good for a 1.5mm² cable, which is more than enough to carry 13A.

If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    Ring main should be 2.5mm², and radial circuits, 4mm². Do not ever use smaller cable for sockets. 1mm² and 1.5mm² should only be used for low current circuits such as lighting.

A radial circuit is permitted in 2.5mm on a 20A MCB, and a 32A ring or radial is permitted on 1.5mm if wired in MICC.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP didn't ask about replacing a single with a double, but about replacing a single with two doubles.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,868
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    Ring main should be 2.5mm², and radial circuits, 4mm². Do not ever use smaller cable for sockets. 1mm² and 1.5mm² should only be used for low current circuits such as lighting.

A radial circuit is permitted in 2.5mm on a 20A MCB, and a 32A ring or radial is permitted on 1.5mm if wired in MICC.

I was going to make the point about MIMS (Pyro) but decided it might unnecessarily confuse things.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2020 at 12:50PM
    OP didn't ask about replacing a single with a double, but about replacing a single with two doubles.
    thats what I was going to say, it seems very common on MSE for people to not read posts properly  then moan about the answers which were perfectly good.

this is what they said later correcting plug to socket   (my bold)
    How do I know whether or not I can have 2 double plugs coming from the original cable that currently serves 1 plug?

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ectophile said:

You won't even fit a 2.5mm² cable into most plugs. They should be good for a 1.5mm² cable, which is more than enough to carry 13A.
    You do get the odd situation where 2.5 sq mm is specified for extension leads.  One is high-end pressure washers that don't like being under-volted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback