Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Electrics: splitting a 230v cable to 2 plugs

New Post Advanced Search

Electrics: splitting a 230v cable to 2 plugs

18 replies 432 views
How do I know whether or not I can have 2 double plugs coming from the original cable that currently serves 1 plug?

Replies

• Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean sockets?
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
  • Warren1989Warren1989 Forumite
    66 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Alter_ego said:
    Do you mean sockets?

Apologies, yes. Sockets (for plugs).
    Like me saying I itched my leg...I didn't I scratched an itch!
  • edited 10 July at 8:46PM
    Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 July at 8:46PM
    You can have a double socket on the end of an extension cable. Not really sure what you want to do.
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
  • edited 10 July at 11:32PM
    Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 July at 11:32PM
    Check the fuse or circuit breaker.
    If it's 20A it's probably a radial circuit, and you can add as many sockets as you want.
    If it's 30A it's probably a ring circuit, and you can only have one single or one double socket on an unfused spur. If you want more than that, you'd need a fused spur, or a multiway socket that includes a fuse, eg
    https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/product/powerbreaker-1-gang-to-4-gang-converter-socket-white-305863
    Note that this would be suitable for low-power appliances only, as the maximum will be limited to 13A across all four sockets. 
    Note: 2 cables do not indicate the socket is on the ring and is not already a spur. It used to be permitted to spur 2 single sockets off the ring; that is no longer allowed.
    http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Adding_sockets
    FileRing circuitjpg
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Warren1989Warren1989 Forumite
    66 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Check the fuse or circuit breaker.
    If it's 20A it's probably a radial circuit, and you can add as many sockets as you want.
    If it's 30A it's probably a ring circuit, and you can only have one single or one double socket on an unfused spur. If you want more than that, you'd need a fused spur, or a multiway socket that includes a fuse, eg
    https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/product/powerbreaker-1-gang-to-4-gang-converter-socket-white-305863
    Note: 2 cables do not indicate the socket is on the ring and is not already a spur. It used to be permitted to spur 2 single sockets off the ring; that is no longer allowed.
    http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Adding_sockets
    FileRing circuitjpg

Thanks, top stuff.

And presumably the wire gauge is rarely, if ever, a factor? It will be standard and fine for whatever?
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wire size is not usually an issue in ordinary domestic installations. 
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • edited 11 July at 12:51AM
    FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 July at 12:51AM
    Owain_Moneysaver said: The wire size is not usually an issue in ordinary domestic installations. 
    Ring main should be 2.5mm², and radial circuits, 4mm². Do not ever use smaller cable for sockets. 1mm² and 1.5mm² should only be used for low current circuits such as lighting.

If in doubt, please call a qualified electrician in to do the work.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the OP is asking can a single socket be replace by a double without additional wiring, the answer is Yes.  The double outlet will only have one set of connections on the rear for wiring.
  • fred369fred369 Forumite
    57 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    FreeBear said:
    Owain_Moneysaver said: The wire size is not usually an issue in ordinary domestic installations. 
    Ring main should be 2.5mm², and radial circuits, 4mm². Do not ever use smaller cable for sockets. 1mm² and 1.5mm² should only be used for low current circuits such as lighting.

If in doubt, please call a qualified electrician in to do the work.
    In certain circumstances 2.5mm is acceptable for a radial. 
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the op switched off after alter-egos post. 
    They asked a simple question and  then got bombarded with a level of information that would only interest a professional electrician doing a rewire.

Most people don't give a toss and wouldn't know in the first place whether they had radial, spur or any other sort of layout of their power circuits or the cable size