New Post Advanced Search

Windows upgrade?

28 replies 620 views
TakedapTakedap Forumite
729 posts
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
✭✭
I have been tasked with "looking at" a neighbours laptop on the grounds that I am (very) slightly more techy than they are.   It is a Samsung model NP350V5C with an Intel i3-2370 CPU @ 2.40 GHz and 6 GB RAM.  It has a sticker indicating that it was manufactured in July 2012.  And here's the problem....it has Windows 7 Home Premium OS installed.
From looking round various websites. it appears that this should have been upgraded years ago and that the opportunity of a free to upgrade to Windows 10 has expired.
I'd like to ask if this is the end or whether there is still a way of getting the free upgrade.  The laptop has it's authentication sticker with the 25 digit product key for Win 7 and, as far as I can tell, was registered correctly.
Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Replies

• TheRightOneTheRightOne Forumite
    369 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Free upgrade always available. Though I would upgrade with a clean install, as opposed to over the top of the current install.
    To that end, a £20 solid state drive would fit the bill.
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you install Windows 10 it should be fine.  The free upgrade period did expire years ago but you can still upgrade for free.
    369 posts
    ✭✭
    You can use the Windows 7 product key for the install or the Genuine Ticket method. I would use the Genuine Ticket method, as then you will always have the fallback to the product key method.
    The added benefit is that you can install and activate Windows 10 Pro, as opposed to Home by using the Genuine Ticket method.
    369 posts
    ✭✭
    wongataa said:
    If you install Windows 10 it should be fine.  The free upgrade period did expire years ago but you can still upgrade for free.
    Erm....doesn't that mean that it hasn't expired and that the expiry date was simply a marketing ploy?
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    wongataa said:
    Erm....doesn't that mean that it hasn't expired and that the expiry date was simply a marketing ploy?
    Yes, but instead of Micro$oft bombarding your Windows 7 PC with update messages, so that they could get a high count of users adopting the new version, you now have to go and look for it, as they'd prefer you buy it, even though you can quite legitimately get it for free...

• TakedapTakedap Forumite
    729 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies so far.  Can anyone please point me to a link where I can get the upgrade please?   I've backed up the current HD to a portable drive but I'm very aware that I'm responsible for someone else's data so I want to be especially careful.  Particularly knowing that there are some photos etc which are irreplaceable.  If possible, I'd prefer to keep all the current settings etc rather than have to go through them all individually.  If it had been my own machine, I'd just have saved the data folders somewhere & then formatted & started again.  I daren't do this with a neighbours stuff though.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takedap said:
    Thanks for all the replies so far.  Can anyone please point me to a link where I can get the upgrade please?   I've backed up the current HD to a portable drive but I'm very aware that I'm responsible for someone else's data so I want to be especially careful.  Particularly knowing that there are some photos etc which are irreplaceable.  If possible, I'd prefer to keep all the current settings etc rather than have to go through them all individually.  If it had been my own machine, I'd just have saved the data folders somewhere & then formatted & started again.  I daren't do this with a neighbours stuff though.
    TBH, you'd be better off doing a fresh install of W10 then copying the relevant files back on from your earlier backup.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takedap said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Just run the upgrade tool.
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takedap said:
    Which is why clean installing to a new ssd is a good idea. (you keep the old disk as a backup).  ssd here
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/kingston-240gb-a400-25-sata-iii-ssd-drive-2499-delivered-at-mymemory-3500590
    Get Windows10 from here.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Best to download to a usb stick (8GB) so you can reuse it.  Read from "Create Windows 10 installation media"
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, if you don't want to run a clean install then you can run the upgrade tool and select the option to keep personal files but a clean install is better.