Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Alternatives to iPhone suggestions please ..

New Post Advanced Search

Alternatives to iPhone suggestions please ..

18 replies 430 views
another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
5.1K posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Howdy 
My present phone is the iPhone SE from 2018 . Battery issues etc telling me that maybe it's best to stop buying iPhones 
and look for a cheaper alternative .  I still have my old iPhone 4 
Taking a step back with life changes etc, I would still like a smartphone only for google maps / bus information etc
I have lots of apps on my iPhone but in all honesty I don't use them as most are  on my iPad . Oh, I do play my songs on Apple Music 
( formerly iTunes ) when going on the bus .
I'm in a slight quandary as to whether to get a SIM card for my iPhone instead , or get a new cheaper smartphone.
If I did get a new smartphone , I assume I'd lose my present phone no.? 

Please help if you can 

Thanks 

Life is crap.  Full of unnecessary pitfalls ..and people 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price range ???
    Otherwise similar top end model ??

Why would you lose the phone ??
  • edited 9 July at 12:35PM
    another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 12:35PM
    Thanks for your swift reply @JJ_Egan
    I meant losing the phone number  😹 . I just realised that if I stay with my current provider
    I won't 🤦
    Not sure of price range .  Less than £400?
    I was going to buy the latest iPhone se but then realised  that it doesn't come with a charger ( I could be wrong here ) .
    The plan is to buy the new phone outright , and remain with my current provider on a sim only contract . 
    Times are hard now, and I'm looking around December to get a new phone .
    Hope this helps explain things more 
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't lose your phone number by changing phone.  You get a PAC from your current provider and use that to transfer the number to a different network.  The number is tied to the SIM, not the phone.
    The current iPhone SE comes with a charger.  It would be hard to find a phone that didn't come with a charger.  Even if one didn't you could use one of your chargers that you already have.
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even guess which phones will be around and their prices come December B) But you can change provider and still get to keep your current number, I have done that 3 times in 4 phones
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your phone is working okay, why change it? Iphone SEs are still pretty good phones, probably similar to what you'd get paying £150 for a an Android.

Just get a cheap PAYG sim for it and you should be sorted.
  • another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reasons for wanting to change phone , are the battery life and of course the constant updates . The battery on my present phone is weak ,and seeing that mine is an older model it won't be long before it's totally unusable imho
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The new iPhone se comes with a charger but I have read that future iPhones will not. 

Your existing se will be getting ios 14 but that's as far as it will go. Although I am a total Android user I have to admit that Apple support their phones with updates much longer than Android based ones and that factor is a big plus. 

If you like your existing se I would investigate the option of getting the battery replaced and getting a sim only deal with whoever you want. 
  • edited 9 July at 1:41PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 1:41PM
    Did you want a brand new or used/refurb phone ?
    Plenty of decent phones within your price range whether New or Used.
    Under £300 here

Have a look at the used phones on Amazon.
  • another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the further help and info .
    I forgot to mention that I'm on a sim only deal at the moment . 
    Trying not to go into rant 😼, but can only say that since Steve jobs died so have apples ideas. They even had to hold their hands up about the constant updates draining the batteries etc . 
    I have thought about a battery upgrade instead of a new phone , but am wondering of it's worth doing . I can see the scenario, when I check for bus times or directions and the further updates mean that I wouldn't be able to do that due to my phone being out of date 
    I just don't know ..
    Getting a refurbished new iPhone se would appeal as it woukd be cheaper . Plus of course, it would be refurbished by Apple 

• jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have thought about a battery upgrade instead of a new phone , but am wondering of it's worth doing . I can see the scenario, when I check for bus times or directions and the further updates mean that I wouldn't be able to do that due to my phone being out of date 

You can change the battery yourself, normally for under £40 which includes tools that can be reused if you ever need to do this again. I always change my phone batteries every two years or so because battery life is important to me. 

It isn't simple though, so if you are nervous about it, just take it to a repair shop, they don't charge much.