Yorkshire Energy - switched in March 2020, still no bill

New Post Advanced Search

Yorkshire Energy - switched in March 2020, still no bill

14 replies 272 views
withaspritzwithaspritz Forumite
130 posts
100 Posts Second Anniversary
Hi all

I switched (go live 26 March 2020) from Bulb to Yorkshire Energy.

They have yet to send me a bill, I have been asking via their help email and they keep fobbing me off with "technical issues" and other wooly excuses.

I have been paying my DD each month at the opening/agreed rate, and also submitting monthly reads from my dumb smart meter.  

Am I within my rights to cancel my DD as my balance is now £256 positive to force them to issue me a bill?  It's been 15 weeks since I joined them. 

Replies

• edited 8 July at 10:58PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 10:58PM
    No point in cancelling your DD.  You'll have to pay for what you've used sooner or later, and if you cancel you'll have broken the Ts & Cs so you'll end up on their most expensive tariff.
    Just keep sending monthly meter readings and keep checking that your DD is paying its way so that you don't end up with bill shock.  Then relax.
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I switched (go live 26 March 2020) from Bulb to Yorkshire Energy.

They have yet to send me a bill, I have been asking via their help email and they keep fobbing me off with "technical issues" and other wooly excuses.

I have been paying my DD each month at the opening/agreed rate, and also submitting monthly reads from my dumb smart meter.  

Am I within my rights to cancel my DD as my balance is now £256 positive to force them to issue me a bill?  It's been 15 weeks since I joined them. 
    I wouldn't cancel the direct debit.  It would probably only complicate matters.

You can calculate the cost of your energy use yourself.  Or, if you post your meter readings with dates and which tariff you're on, I'm sure someone here will do the calculations for you.

No idea why Yorkshire Energy haven't billed you.  I'm currently with them.  I supplied my meter readings at about 2am today and my bill was available two hours later at 4am.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should be keeping your own records anyway - just use a simple spreadsheet to keep track. At this time of year you should be building up a decent credit ready for the winter,
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • pallymanpallyman Forumite
    77 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Strange,I joined around that time and they send me a email for readings and within a hour or so i get a email to say my bill is ready to read,Hope you get it sorted,I have found them good up to now.
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    964 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Just do your own calculation, you have the readings after all...
    If you are not sure how to do that then please post your tariff details (per kWh price and standing charge) and your meter readings, and someone here will help you.
    Don't cancel the DD and I'm sure you realise that you don't really have a £256 balance, just have to do the calculations to see what your current balance really is after deducting the payment for your usage...
  • withaspritzwithaspritz Forumite
    130 posts
    Thanks for the replies, I should have added a background: my property is up for sale, I went to YE on their variable tariff because it was super cheap and had no exit fees so I could move house easily.  We are now in conveyancing, so likely will be moving out in a few months.   My worry is that if they can't send me monthly bills, they may not be able to send me a final bill.  I have raised a formal complaint but getting nowhere.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did Bulb install the smart meter recently by any chance?? If so ,it might be that the national databases have not been updated with the meter details.
    I've had a similar problem twice in the last three years , where the new supplier was picking up the old meter details even tho' the meter was swapped in early 2015 ! And that wasn't even a "smart" meter swap !! I had to send photos of the meter and the card left by the fitter when he exchanged meters, in order for them to update their records.
  • GunJackGunJack Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YE don't send a bill, just an e-mail to say the bill's ready - log into your account on the website (and I mean on a pc/laptop, not an app) and they should be there under View Balance & Payments, and on the far right should be a link to view the .pdf bill.
    I went from Bulb to YE in April, and no such issues :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
    130 posts
    GunJack said:
    YE don't send a bill, just an e-mail to say the bill's ready - log into your account on the website (and I mean on a pc/laptop, not an app) and they should be there under View Balance & Payments, and on the far right should be a link to view the .pdf bill.
    I went from Bulb to YE in April, and no such issues :)
    I know - I don't have the bills listed, and my balance is now approaching 300 in credit (been paying about 60 a month since march) 
    130 posts
    Did Bulb install the smart meter recently by any chance?? If so ,it might be that the national databases have not been updated with the meter details.
    I've had a similar problem twice in the last three years , where the new supplier was picking up the old meter details even tho' the meter was swapped in early 2015 ! And that wasn't even a "smart" meter swap !! I had to send photos of the meter and the card left by the fitter when he exchanged meters, in order for them to update their records.
    Yes they did! but it has never worked, it's been dumb since install day back in August 2019.  I have been manually uploading readings to both bulb and YE. It was part of the reason I left bulb as their service around smart meters was so bad.