Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Wetroom flooring DIY and/or interior design

New Post Advanced Search

Wetroom flooring DIY and/or interior design

2 replies 77 views
Greetings... This is kind of a 'will it go horribly wrong if I' and a 'what would you do' kind of question. 

This is my (soon to be) new bathroom in my (soon to be) new house: 

Not huge (2.2 x 1.7) but it's perfectly serviceable in the short term - long term I want to keep it as a wetroom but remove the grab rails and the like... I'd also quite like it to not be a strange industrial pink colour... 

Questions: 

1. Can I remove the grab rails and the like myself - given the walls are a special waterproof material that I've not seen before and the floor is tanked - or am I going to end up in a world of trouble with random holes in the walls/floor and no easy way to fill/patch short of a full replacement? 

2. Is there any easy way to recolour the walls/floor without a full replacement? I've seen people talking about vinyl tiles or peal and stick flooring, but I'd worry that water would get under them... I'm also aware it's not the easiest surface in the world just to paint. 

3. Any suggestions for the best way to style/update the room if I am looking at a full replacement? From what I've read about tanking, I'm guessing getting the floor/walls replaced with something more to my taste long term is going to cost a few grand (ideas of costing appreciated) and, to be honest, it's going to be low on my priority list given it's perfectly serviceable as is, so I'm looking for any ideas for cosmetic improvements for the next year or so... I mean, what goes with a dark pink floor? :) 

Thank you in advance for any advice. 
That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
giphy.gif
Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...

Replies

• FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The grab rails can be removed quite easily. Any holes, fill with a silicone sealant. It won't look very pretty, but you could use some of the screw holes for a soap/shower-gel holder.

As for "what goes with a dark pink floor", you really don't want to know unless you are a Rocky Horror fan :o
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    FreeBear said:
    The grab rails can be removed quite easily. Any holes, fill with a silicone sealant. It won't look very pretty, but you could use some of the screw holes for a soap/shower-gel holder.

As for "what goes with a dark pink floor", you really don't want to know unless you are a Rocky Horror fan :o
    Thanks - that's good to know.

So, paint/cover in some way or a just live with it until the budget allows for a full replace?
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...