Tonik. energy supplier.

New Post Advanced Search

Tonik. energy supplier.

7 replies 179 views
Raymond_PowellRaymond_Powell Forumite
1 posts
Fourth Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie

I see your recommending Tonik as a best supplier, and I now feel guilty that I did not inform you of the poor experience I had with them some years ago. While they were always courteous on the phone they constantly failed to correct their billing errors, causing me to change supplier.  Every time the billed me their previous recorded amount was less than the real figure.  Even after I brought it to their attention they still, subsequently,  made the same error which made me very suspicious.  As a simple example they would say:
“previous reading was 1350. Today’s reading 1700. Amount used = 350.
So far so good, but my next bill would read: 
Previous reading was 1620 (should be 1700)  Today’s reading 1900. Amount used = 280. Result; overcharged by 80 Units. 
Every bill had an incorrect lower “previous reading”  resulting in overcharging me the difference. This occurred three times in succession so it proves they made no attempt to correct there system.   I suggest you attempt to examine a selection of their bills, to see if this is continuing. 
I would not consider going back to them even though their staff were extremely friendly when talking on the phone. 
Hope this is of benefit to fellow members 
 R Powell. 
Sent from my iPad

Replies

• wenklawwenklaw Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    I am an existing Tonik customer and they are the most appalling energy company i have ever been with by far.  Signed up March 2019, they took 3 months to actually get all the meters sorted, meanwhile i am being billed by my old company but Tonik are also taking my monthly direct debit.  Finally that gets sorted after god knows how much of my time is wasted, then in January 2020 Toniks billing just fails, look on trustpilot loads of people having the same issue.  Again loads of phone calls which they generally didnt answer, emails they dont respond to, finally i report to the regulator who open a case.  7 months later they produce a bill, i am £4 in credit but they have increased my DD to £140 from £71 (its always been £71) and guess what i cant get hold of them!!!
    This site needs to look very hard at recommending this company!!!  Anyway i have cancelled my DD and requeted a switch to another company.
  • VulcansVulcans Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    I am in the process of leaving Tonik. They have been punctual to take my money but when it comes to billing they are horrendous. Don't update readings when submitted, can't give an updated statement until weeks after giving readings. Won't take billing enquiries by phone only by email. Still waiting for final bill. Glad I'm leaving.
  • dla775dla775 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yes Tonik customer support is a compete disaster. I wonder if they are very short of money and can't afford proper resourcing.
    I still haven't had a statement since January when they did a so-called system upgrade. In February the website stopped working for me ("Oops something went wrong"), in June they finally fixed that after I sent them a photo of my gas meter. However my balance is still completely wrong. I've now lodged a formal complaint with Ofgem. 

It a concern that they are still being recommended in the press and on websites that should be more aware of their dire performance.
  • NJ10NJ10 Forumite
    2 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    I switched my Mum's Gas & Electric from Tonik in early June and am still waiting for the final bill. No response to emails. Haven't tried phoning yet. Think I'm going to lodge a complaint with Ofgem too.
    Thanks everyone and wishing you all success!
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    NJ10 said:
    Think I'm going to lodge a complaint with Ofgem too.
    That won't do you any good: you need to go to the Ombudsman.  And unless they've sent you a deadlock letter, you need to wait eight weeks after submitting your complaint.
    Remember that Tonik have six weeks to produce the final bill, so they haven't (yet) missed any deadline.
  • DelboisDelbois Forumite
    6 posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tonik is an appalling company. After 3 months with them I read the warning banner on the MSE Cheap Energy Club site and investigated further......lots of complaints of terrible customer service (incorrect billing, unresponsiveness, erroneous use of debt collection agencies) I decided to move back to my previous provider.
    The switch appeared to go ok until Tonik asked me for meter readings....they insisted they were still my electricity supplier. I spoke to my new provider who confirmed the switch had taken place and provided me with a screenshot from the National Meter Database as proof. The network provider (SSEN) also shows the new provider as being my supplier so I provided Tonik with this information and requested resolution over a month ago.  I have followed up with several emails but with absolutely no response. They keep sending me auto-generated emails asking for meter readings. I'm not how to proceed when two companies both claim to be your energy provider and both demand payment! 
    As an expediency, and in view of my substantial credit balance, I cancelled my monthly direct debit but fully expect this to trigger their debt collection process.
    Tonik has a written complaints procedure but in reality it does not exist as they simply don't respond to anything. I'm not sure how this leaves me wrt a referral to the Ombudsman, which normally requires the consumer to have exhausted the company's complaints procedure first?!

• DelboisDelbois Forumite
    6 posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dla775 said:
    Yes Tonik customer support is a compete disaster. I wonder if they are very short of money and can't afford proper resourcing.
    I still haven't had a statement since January when they did a so-called system upgrade. In February the website stopped working for me ("Oops something went wrong"), in June they finally fixed that after I sent them a photo of my gas meter. However my balance is still completely wrong. I've now lodged a formal complaint with Ofgem. 

It a concern that they are still being recommended in the press and on websites that should be more aware of their dire performance.
    I checked their accounts of Companies House and their balance sheet is weak to say the least!
    I agree when a company becomes as disfunctional as this it should be more widely publicised and it shouldn't be left to individual consumers to take action one by one - the regulator should intervene.
    Also I don't think MSE Cheap Energy Club should continue to offer Tonik as a switching option (a warning banner isn't really sufficient)