Replies

• edited 8 July at 9:58AM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 9:58AM
    davidmcn said:
    If Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't nations then how do you explain the concept of the "Home Nations"?
    In the same way as the US hosts the "World Series".
    Do you look forward to seeing how your regional team does in the World Cup, where the players will stand to attention while their regional anthem is played?
    Perhaps if the UK did field a single national team, instead of getting a pass for several regional ones, they might occasionally win something?

And, no, I very much doubt many Scots, Welsh, or Northern Irish look forward to seeing how their regional team does in the World Cup.

If they are countries, care to explain how there's a single GBR team at the Olympics? Of course, how the Northern Irish get to pick whether to represent their own country or the neighbours is another question entirely...

Not that sport is particularly relevant to anything.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If sport is irrelevant, why did you rise to the bait? Just curious. :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • hedgewitcheryhedgewitchery Forumite
    20 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    I once went to view a house and found the previous viewers' kids messing about in the garden. I thought it was a bit odd, until I realised that the vendor was conducting lengthy sit-down interviews with every viewer to explain about his "position" in great and totally unnecessary detail. After that, I was a lot more sympathetic to the poor kids, especially after he was quite rude about the parents for daring to bring their distracting children, so they couldn't give him their undivided attention for an hour!

He had inherited the house - which was quite an attractive prospect of a minor redevelopment project in a very popular area, generating a lot of interest - and I think the perceived power had gone to his head. It was clear he was going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with, so it immediately went into the not-with-a-ten-foot-bargepole category.

Not as bad as the one where the seller was going through a bitter divorce and subjecting all the viewers to rants about the injustice of it all, though...
  • fewcloudyfewcloudy Forumite
    384 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    zx81 said:
    Sell it to them, but tell them you'll drop by on an annual basis to do a performance appraisal and give them feedback where they need to improve.
    I feel this may be the funniest post I will ever see on MSE forum.  Short, succinct, perfect.  Well done.
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester", 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...(but not for long)
  • edited 9 July at 9:52AM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 9:52AM
    Truth mirroring fiction ? I read a novel some time ago (can't remember what it was called - I read a lot!) In which the vendor of a house sold on 'condition' that the buyers make minimal changes, as the property had belonged to his late mother and he wanted the house to remain as her memorial.

The vendor returned on the anniversary of his mothers death, seemingly expecting to find that only the bed linen had been changed......
  • edited 9 July at 10:10AM
    olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 July at 10:10AM
    Truth mirroring fiction ? I read a novel some time ago (can't remember what it was called - I read a lot!) In which the vendor of a house sold on 'condition' that the buyers make minimal changes, as the property had belonged to his late mother and he wanted the house to remain as her memorial.

The vendor returned on the anniversary of his mothers death, seemingly expecting to find that only the bed linen had been changed......
    That's not fair, you've left us on a cliffhanger . . . what happened?
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    natasha22 said:

We also mindful to be endearing to the sellers if present at viewing. Most of the time it makes little difference but if it comes down to two identical offers in comparable situations (which seems to be common in ftb properties) then if the seller has a good relationship with you and thinks you'll be easier to deal with in the chain, then that cant hurt!
    We viewed a property where we had already worked out in advance that it was likely to be partly an 'interview'. The vendor was building a house in the garden which they were moving in to. We offered, and he accepted our offer, which was apparently less than another where he didn't like the people who made the offer. In the end we pulled out as the vendor showed all the signs of being a control freak and we decided we didn't want to live next door to him!  Plus we didn't like the way he belittled his wife when we viewed.