New Post Advanced Search

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

77 replies 5.2K views

Replies

• WyndhamWyndham Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long time ago, but we had a viewing where they brought one of the children.  He started pulling my books out of the bookcase - some of which are quite rare and valuable.  I asked him to stop, but the parents did nothing.  They did however say that he was the best behaved of their children, and they'd left the badly behaved ones at home.

They didn't offer.  If they had, I would have had to think carefully about accepting as we knew the neighbours well and liked them.

We have threads on here about renting, and landlords entering the property and behaving in an intrusive way, and we are forever saying that is wrong.  Potential buyers can sometimes do that too, but seemingly they are allowed to do that?  A home is still a home, no matter if you own it, or rent it - and it's not unreasonable to expect other people to respect that.

• iampetesmithiampetesmith Forumite
    131 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    She can just decline the offer if she doesn't want to sell it to them. If it was me though, I wouldn't really be bothered if they offered as it wouldn't be my house any more so they can do what they like when it's theirs.

The only reason I'd decline an offer is if I thought they'd cause a problem with the neighbours or something like that, as I wouldn't want them to have a nightmare new neighbour move in. I'd probably be more likely to accept an offer from a family with kids as we have 4 of them next door who they could play with.
  • GaleSF63GaleSF63 Forumite
    568 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you can afford to react, sometimes you can't.  If you haven't had an offer for a year you should be grateful to accept one from a two-headed martian who lands his UFO on your prize rose-bed -- if you have several similar offers in the first week, there would be no problem ignoring an offer because someone comes to the viewing wearing a pink hat. 
  • natasha22natasha22 Forumite
    31 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I agree with others, that it depends on the situation.

An easy to sell property, with multiple offers in the same region then you can chose between them (eg you might discount a slightly higher offer for a lower offer from someone who is more proceedable or you feel fits your chain better)

A property with little interest, where its been on the market and they make the only offer is very different

We also mindful to be endearing to the sellers if present at viewing. Most of the time it makes little difference but if it comes down to two identical offers in comparable situations (which seems to be common in ftb properties) then if the seller has a good relationship with you and thinks you'll be easier to deal with in the chain, then that cant hurt!
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    If I foolishly say that it is because I don’t like the Scots, say, then I’d expect a lot of trouble.

I do like the Scots, by the way. It’s just a concrete example. 
    I mean you might get some verbals back, but legally there's nothing that can be done. 
    Why don’t you read the link from Shelter that DavidMcN posted? It explains the legal position far better than I can.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/courts_and_legal_action/equality_law/equality_act_2010_discrimination_in_relation_to_premises#4
    I dont believe that Race = nationality, but happy to be corrected on that.
    Scottish isn't a nationality, anyway.

Scottish is merely a self-chosen origin identifier, same as "Scouse" or "Londoner". People from Scotland would typically be British nationality, as any other national of the United Kingdom. People from one region do get an option to choose nationality from the neighbouring country, though.

There was a referendum on whether to make Scotland a country, and by extension Scottish a nationality, in 2014 - but you may recall that it failed.
    Scotland is still a country though.
    Go and find your passport, and tell me what it says on the front.
    European Union  :'(
    Indeed. Because it was issued by a member state of the EU. Now, which one of the 28 member states...?
    I'm not going to argue with you over whether Scotland is a country.  It just is.  We may as well have a debate over whether water is wet. 
    No need for a second IndyRef, then, since the last one was clearly won. I guess Scotland are fortunate enough to be staying an EU member state, then?
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Wyndham said:
    We have threads on here about renting, and landlords entering the property and behaving in an intrusive way, and we are forever saying that is wrong.  Potential buyers can sometimes do that too, but seemingly they are allowed to do that?  A home is still a home, no matter if you own it, or rent it - and it's not unreasonable to expect other people to respect that.

I think that if you don't like the way in which someone is behaving in your home, then you have the right to ask them to leave, regardless of why they are there. I once asked an estate agent to value my home and during a heated discussion about the price (she wanted to value it at 20% less than other estate agents) she was gouging my kitchen lino with her stiletto heels. I asked her if she realised that she was damaging my property and told her to leave. It was quite funny as she was so flustered she left really quickly and forgot her briefcase (probably had her lunch in it) - she had to send someone else to retrieve it.
  • ScotbotScotbot Forumite
    591 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    If I foolishly say that it is because I don’t like the Scots, say, then I’d expect a lot of trouble.

I mean you might get some verbals back, but legally there's nothing that can be done. 
    Why don’t you read the link from Shelter that DavidMcN posted? It explains the legal position far better than I can.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/courts_and_legal_action/equality_law/equality_act_2010_discrimination_in_relation_to_premises#4

Scottish is merely a self-chosen origin identifier, same as "Scouse" or "Londoner". People from Scotland would typically be British nationality, as any other national of the United Kingdom. People from one region do get an option to choose nationality from the neighbouring country, though.

There was a referendum on whether to make Scotland a country, and by extension Scottish a nationality, in 2014 - but you may recall that it failed.
    Indeed. Because it was issued by a member state of the EU. Now, which one of the 28 member states...?
    I'm not going to argue with you over whether Scotland is a country.  It just is.  We may as well have a debate over whether water is wet. 
    It is not according to the UN definition of a member state of nations. It would never fly on Pointless!
  • edited 8 July at 8:51AM
    davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 8:51AM
    Scotbot said:
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:

It is not according to the UN definition of a member state of nations. It would never fly on Pointless!
    The generally-accepted definitions of "country" or "nation" aren't "capable of being a UN member state" though, are they?

If Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't nations then how do you explain the concept of the "Home Nations"? Do you look forward to seeing how your regional team does in the World Cup, where the players will stand to attention while their regional anthem is played?
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread has gone way off what the OP was referring to.  There was no reference to race/country of origin at all (that's just the interpretation of some of the posts on here on a just in case basis - I hope ).  We ALL know that good and bad behaviour is absolutely nothing to do with either of those things.  The OP was concerned about behaviour and the potential purchaser's seeming unwillingness to control the children's behaviour.  I'd do the same, without any hesitation because I wouldn't want to take the risk of subjecting 'nice' neighbours to what could possibly be a difficult situation.  Nice is not referring to snobbiness its just an awareness that while some people might not notice out of control children (if they were), others will.  

I do wish people would stop inferring what isn't there.
    The original question was answered almost immediately, and the rest of the discussion is superfluous to the OP.

But, you can’t control these threads, and it’s simply wandered off into a discussion of whether Scotland is a nation, and we seem about to start discussing rugby next. It would be wrong to infer anything at all about the OP from this later part of the discussion, and I entirely agree with you on that point. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?