• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

A vendor can choose not to sell to ANYONE.  But they may not (legally not permitted to..) choose not to sell to someone on the grounds of a protected characteristic such as religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity etc etc (see the legislation): That would be unlawful discrimination.  But there is lawful discrimination.
    Sorry pal, but as a private seller that is perfectly legitimate. Can choose to not seel to anyone, based upon any characteristic. There's no legal remedy. 
    If I say to you that I won’t sell you my house, without giving reasons, there’s probably nothing you can do about it. 

If I foolishly say that it is because I don’t like the Scots, say, then I’d expect a lot of trouble.

I do like the Scots, by the way. It’s just a concrete example. 
    I mean you might get some verbals back, but legally there's nothing that can be done. 
  • edited 7 July at 9:55AM
    GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 July at 9:55AM
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

A vendor can choose not to sell to ANYONE.  But they may not (legally not permitted to..) choose not to sell to someone on the grounds of a protected characteristic such as religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity etc etc (see the legislation): That would be unlawful discrimination.  But there is lawful discrimination.
    Sorry pal, but as a private seller that is perfectly legitimate. Can choose to not seel to anyone, based upon any characteristic. There's no legal remedy. 
    If I say to you that I won’t sell you my house, without giving reasons, there’s probably nothing you can do about it. 

If I foolishly say that it is because I don’t like the Scots, say, then I’d expect a lot of trouble.

I mean you might get some verbals back, but legally there's nothing that can be done. 
    Why don’t you read the link from Shelter that DavidMcN posted? It explains the legal position far better than I can.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/courts_and_legal_action/equality_law/equality_act_2010_discrimination_in_relation_to_premises#4
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

Sorry pal, but as a private seller that is perfectly legitimate. Can choose to not sell to anyone, based upon any characteristic. There's no legal remedy. 
    Not quite, see my comments above.
  • borkidborkid Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was selling my flat, I had several offers at asking price. A couple of them were really annoying, trying to get the price down by offering “cash”, or by by saying that I wouldn’t get a better offer. I sold it to a lovely young man, who wanted a place so that he could have his son to stay at weekends. He was moving from his parents house and had nothing in the way of furniture or white goods, so we left him our sofa, a sofa bed, a fridge freezer and our old telly, which he was thrilled with. He ended up marrying a friend of a friend, and they sold for a nice profit, just as I did. 😊
    The house that I wanted to buy with my husband, was literally £1000 over our absolute limit. The vendor sold to us, because she had promised her next-door neighbour that she would sell it to someone “nice”. I’d already met the neighbour as I worked in a local pharmacy, so she apparently gave us the nod, and we got the house! 

i quite understand the OP concerns. If my neighbours were good friends would I really want to sell to someone who hadn't brought their kids up to respect other peoples' property.

Barbiedoll in our last move we sold to a musician who offered under asking price and we left a lot of stuff for them as well by agreemnet. I'm still friends with the musician and they really love the house. At the same time someone else was going to put in an offer, we wouldn't even listen to it, their kid had picked up my guitar and started strumming even though he had been told not to touch anything.

Some might say I was stupid but I have to live with myself and the couple we sold to were very giving and kind. Karma for them.
  • edited 7 July at 10:07AM
    Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 July at 10:07AM
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

Why don’t you read the link from Shelter that DavidMcN posted? It explains the legal position far better than I can.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/courts_and_legal_action/equality_law/equality_act_2010_discrimination_in_relation_to_premises#4
    I dont believe that Race = nationality, but happy to be corrected on that. davidmcn said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

Sorry pal, but as a private seller that is perfectly legitimate. Can choose to not sell to anyone, based upon any characteristic. There's no legal remedy. 
    Yes i was suprised by that. But as above, race is not the same as nationality. 

ofcourse the bigger issue is the equality act doesnt really have teeth. I know it's been a while since i've read it but - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/part/9
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gather that people from Liverpool often feel discriminated against- not in Liverpool obviously. 
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

I dont believe that Race = nationality, but happy to be corrected on that. davidmcn said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

ofcourse the bigger issue is the equality act doesnt really have teeth. I know it's been a while since i've read it but - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/part/9
    The Equality Act defines the term Race to include nationality. Para 9.  

The Scots are a distinct nation within the UK. so are the Welsh. I’m not so sure that it’s illegal to discriminate against the Cornish, not that it’s anything that I’ve ever wanted to do.
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, take the emotion out of it.  Reasons for declining a workable offer are crazy.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

Comms69 said:
    curtis122 said:

The Equality Act defines the term Race to include nationality. Para 9.  

The Scots are a distinct nation within the UK. so are the Welsh. I’m not so sure that it’s illegal to discriminate against the Cornish, not that it’s anything that I’ve ever wanted to do.
    Oh i agree. My main point was that the equality act has very limited enforcement powers, but fair point on the nationality part. 

Yes i wouldnt discriminate against anyone, i just think that people should be able to; and then it's all in the open and everyone can make informed decisions. 

• steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    rach_k said:
    We look like a nice family and the children are very well behaved; (I think) our vendors were happy to sell to us.  When we moved in, I killed the rose bush they left for me and chopped down a lovely tree.  I'm pretty sure my toddler took a dump on their nice wooden flooring, too.  You never can tell...
    This post made me laugh out loud :D - thank you!