77 replies 5.2K views

Replies

• edited 6 July at 7:29PM
    steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July at 7:29PM
    I think it is unfair to assume that the house wouldn't be looked after because the kids weren't well behaved on the viewing.

Children grow up pretty fast.  A young family is more likely than other types of buyer to be living in the property for a long time, so I'd assume they would take care of it!

Not that this is any of the seller's business - no longer her property once she's sold!

• Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well you (she) can do what you (she) want(s).

Of course as people have send depending on the contract with the "promoter" there may be monatary consequences.

When you are that attached it is a bad thing. I have driven by my old houses. I don;t like what they have done. Remover a beaufitul large cherry tree in the front (that beyond nice gave some priviacy from the front). Removed fences I have put up at the back to not be able to see people moving around the right of way and have some privacy. Fell for the "old slater roof, no underlay, can see light, it must be repalced" nonsensae in the buyers report. I was told the same 15 years earlier. THings need upkeep occasionally. It was cheap. And yeah with no underlay you see light. If it leaks thats a problem. light isn't. But what do you want to do. Their property now. Theirs to do with whatever.

If she cares that much put some legal restrictions upon the next buyer and she if anyone gets a mortgage.

• theartfullodgertheartfullodger Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtis122 said:

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

A vendor can choose not to sell to ANYONE.  But they may not (legally not permitted to..) choose not to sell to someone on the grounds of a protected characteristic such as religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity etc etc (see the legislation): That would be unlawful discrimination.  But there is lawful discrimination.
  • NQManchesterNQManchester Forumite
    29 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We’ve been viewing houses recently and have a 1 and 4 year old and we’ve been advising in advance that we’d need a longer viewing slot so one of us can go in at a time. Wouldn’t dream of taking kids in someone’s house at the moment unless we really had to (single parent for example). I think it would be perfectly reasonable for your friend to request adults only where possible and some estate agents have had rules to this effect. 

• greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course you can refuse to sell to these people.
    And you needn't give a reason, either to them or the EA.
    But for goodness sake don't say it's because both parents were female. Or black. Or jewish......
    If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtis122 said:

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

A vendor can choose not to sell to ANYONE.  But they may not (legally not permitted to..) choose not to sell to someone on the grounds of a protected characteristic such as religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity etc etc (see the legislation): That would be unlawful discrimination.  But there is lawful discrimination.
    Actually private vendors are only prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, as long as they're not using an estate agent (I presume on the basis that it would allow bigoted estate agents to hide behind the cloak of "clients' instructions").
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who gives a   who buys it after! 
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx81 said:
    Sell it to them, but tell them you'll drop by on an annual basis to do a performance appraisal and give them feedback where they need to improve.
    I was expecting a monthly visit!