Forum Home» Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Airbnb cancelled, flights still booked. Insurance help!

New Post Advanced Search

Airbnb cancelled, flights still booked. Insurance help!

6 replies 94 views
Hi, just wondered if anyone had advice before contacting ins company. 
Bought flights, Airbnb and travel insurance beginning of March for end of September to Portugal. So all good and covered. 
However the Airbnb host cancelled our accommodation in April. 
Wasn't going to think about going and was going to wait and see if flights got cancelled. 
We think we'd like to go now though, provided FCO lifts restrictions there etc. 
My question is, if we book new accommodation now, would we still be covered under the travel insurance policy we bought in March?? Can't find anything in policy docs. 
Something's just making me double check. Even though we didn't cancel first booking. 
Many thanks

Replies

• MrsnMrsn Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    My gut feeling is unlikely as it’s now a known event. I think honestly you need to
    speak to your insurers to confirm this directly.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought a 6m policy in March, then yes, it's still valid. Whether it covers you for coronavirus will depend on the insurer and the date you took it out-so speak to them.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Louise1978Louise1978 Forumite
    5 posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, it's still valid as had update from them saying I'm covered for that. 
    I think maybe anything to do with flights would be still covered, but maybe not accommodation? It's annoying though, as we didn't cancel accommodation. So therefore lose flights, or not be properly covered?
    I will speak to insurance company, just hope I get through!! 😭😜
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your policy covers whatever it says it covers: we can't read it. But it won't be 'accommodation specific'.
    Did you buy this as a package, with an ATOL certificate? If so, cancellation of the accom cancels everything, so the provider must refund the flights too if requested.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
    5 posts
    No, I booked flights and accommodation separately. I've read the policy and it doesn't say anything about this, inclusive or otherwise. I just wondered if someone had come across this before. Or, if it might make others think about theirs too. 
    5 posts
    And as with most policies, they're not exactly written in plain English. I'm not stupid, but God they are designed to test you! 😂