Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Advice Needed Regarding Former Employer

New Post Advanced Search

Advice Needed Regarding Former Employer

8 replies 372 views
daisydipdaisydip Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I was dismissed by a employer almost 15 years ago for something I did not do.
I have been unable since then to get back into any type of work. Recently a employer I applied for a job with told me they have had a very negative email about me but couldn't send me a copy because of data protection.
Also in the last 10 months I have been receiving nasty emails with details only they would know about.
Surely this is severe harassment?. A friend says I should involve the police.
This has left me broken and stressed. Any advice most welcome.

Replies

• edited 3 July at 1:57AM
    baza52baza52 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July at 1:57AM
    daisydip said:
    I have been unable since then to get back into any type of work. Recently a employer I applied for a job with told me they have had a very negative email about me but couldn't send me a copy because of data protection.
    Also in the last 10 months I have been receiving nasty emails with details only they would know about.
    you haven't found any job in the last 15 years? How did the prospective employer get the email? did you use your old employer as a reference?
    Why were you dismissed?

• PhilstneotsPhilstneots Forumite
    1 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

Provided it does not leave you with a noticable gap in your career history, I would simply delete the company concerned from your CV. Most employers will only be interested in references from any one who emploiyed within the last five years. Beyond that, the information provided will generally too out of date to be relevant as not only will you have more experience / be better qualified etc., Even may even be impossible to obtain a reference from too long ago as  the comapny may have closed down / gone in to administration etc.

ACAS - the advisory, concillisation anf arbitation service are a very helpful source of information on employment matters. Their website www.acas.org,uk includes information on what to do if a former employer gives you a 'bad reference'.

The employer who claimed 'date protection' should at least tell you who supplied the 'bad reference', even if (due to being supplied in confidence) they can't let you see what the reference said. You can then approach the relevant former employer to ask for a copy of what they have said about you - which they should supply!

Alternatively, try asking a friend if they will pose as your next potential employer and ask them to request references from your former employers (ideally supplied in writing rather than over the phone).

• edited 3 July at 9:09AM
    AW618AW618 Forumite
    242 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 3 July at 9:09AM

Provided it does not leave you with a noticable gap in your career history, I would simply delete the company concerned from your CV. 

You did see that the OP has not worked for 15 years? 
  • JCS1JCS1 Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do a subject access request and ask to see a copy of the information
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JCS1 said:
    Do a subject access request and ask to see a copy of the information
    No quite as easy as it used to be as there is now some protection against having to disclose references received in confidence.

However, it may be arguable that the OP didn't provide the former employer's name as a reference.
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    daisydip said:
    If it's true, then the Information Commissioner would be your first stop. Where are the 'nasty e-mails' coming from - your old employer's address? Bit unlikely they'd have your current e-mail address after so long.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it could be worse and all verbal with no hope of every proving anything.
    Sadly I believe I sent my CV (and only this) to an utter crook of an employer who clearly had no understanding for personal data, when on a dark non work day, an employer who with a 145 CV's to look through enjoyed nothing more then telling my boss. It could have been much worse I guess the crook could have taken my application all the way. (Makes me shudder)
    I faced it. Looked my current bosses straight in the eye knowing I've not been to an actual interview since 29th January 2020 whether they like it or not! I'm a prolific job seeker (never hidden) in the end that was the way to put this to rest.