Forum Home» Cutting Tax

Tax rebate on work computer bought pre-lockdown

New Post Advanced Search

Tax rebate on work computer bought pre-lockdown

5 replies 149 views
busterlfbrownbusterlfbrown Forumite
3 posts
First Post First Anniversary
In order to earn a bit more income from my job, I started doing some extra video editing outside of my normal hours, which I got paid overtime/bonus in my regular pay check. My normal role is in finance, though have been doing this on the side. At the beginning of 2019, I purchased a new Macbook out of my own pocket in order to do this at home as the office didn't have suitable facilities/compatible infrastructure for the programme I needed.
With the lockdown, my regular finance job is now on a WFH basis, and I am now using the Macbook to do this. I have been made aware of the ability to claim back relevant expenses from my tax cost. Could someone please offer some advice as to whether the computer expense would be eligible? I have been very fortunate that my bosses have been supportive with maintaining hours and retaining all staff, so I don't wish to push the situation with them, but equally the purchase is now a necessity for being able to continue my role. 
Many thanks,

Replies

• Jeremy535897Jeremy535897 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    See https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/buying-other-equipment Note the requirement that you have to buy it to do your job.
    This is for items over £2,500. For smaller items you claim under "other expenses"  if you go through the check if you can claim box.
  • Sibbers123Sibbers123 Forumite
    200 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Where you obliged to purchase the laptop?

If so, do you use it for personal reasons to?

it is very hard to get tax relief for a laptop if employed, almost impossible.
  • busterlfbrownbusterlfbrown Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you both, having followed the link suggested it seems it is not eligible. I appreciate your comments anyway!
  • Jeremy535897Jeremy535897 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both, having followed the link suggested it seems it is not eligible. I appreciate your comments anyway!
    If you are not eligible because it is not a requirement of your work that you buy the computer, so be it. If you put less than £2,500 in as the price and went to the buy equipment section, it will tell you that you are not eligible, but that is because they treat smaller amounts as revenue expenses rather than capital allowances, so if you believe you are entitled to claim, choose the "other expenses" option.
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not eligible because it is not a requirement of your work that you buy the computer, so be it. If you put less than £2,500 in as the price and went to the buy equipment section, it will tell you that you are not eligible, but that is because they treat smaller amounts as revenue expenses rather than capital allowances, so if you believe you are entitled to claim, choose the "other expenses" option.
    Sounds like the OP wouldn't be entitled - if they incurred the expense to carry out additional duties on an adhoc basis well before his main duties were required to be performed from home. A change of circumstances now doesn't change the purpose for which the expense was incurred. 

There's other potential issues - such as if the employer would have provided the equipment needed. But no point getting into those when it falls at the first hurdle. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride