Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cooker hood regs

Hello,
I hope someone can help with this issue.

We have had endless issues with our kitchen, delaminating panels. Particular problem area is around the hood. Our gas hob measures 900mm wide and so does our hood. The cupboards either side of hood are tight up against it. This has resulted in issues with panels. Our thoughts are to decrease the hood size but this will make it smaller than the hob. It’s a fairly new build. 4.5 yrs.
Any advice will be great.
Thanks

Replies

• knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Making the hood smaller will not help the wall unit panels as the damage is caused by them getting hot.
    Hoe about covering the panels with Stainless steel sheet?  A simple fix, easy to clean and not expensive.
  • jaimel134jaimel134 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    I have been told that regs state a 50mm burn gap is required but I can’t find any confirmation of this. This is my thinking of improving situation.
  • edited 30 June 2020 at 8:09PM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    30.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020 at 8:09PM
    I'd be thinking of a smaller hob.  Surely it's the heat causing the delamination? 

If you want a burn gap it's not having heat coming up the outside of the pans and having a slightly oversized hood.  

A long shot, but if it is gas do you ensure that the flames don't go around the outside of the pans and stay firmly under the flat of them?  My husband is terrible for it but it's a total waste of gas and therefore heat.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    How high are your cupboards & hood above the hob ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • jaimel134jaimel134 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hood approx 700-800
    cupboards are lower, say 550 approx
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should be a gap of 50mm either side of the units. It sounds like your hob is in a direct line with the units, this is whats causing the issues with the panels. Your height from the hob is ok.