Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Facebook have me stumped

New Post Advanced Search

Facebook have me stumped

7 replies 185 views
steviebuksteviebuk Forumite
102 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
Trying to setup a Facebook account. Created a new Gmail address for it. Once completed it instantly disables. Requests a mobile number which I gave it and also verified via the phone. Still disabled and requests a photo so they can verify the account (which was already done via e-mail and phone) And how can you verfy someone from a photo they upload when you don't know the person in the first place.

They say they will check the photo and I'll hear back in a few days. A few days later they say they have perm disable the account with no appeal for breaking guidelines. What guidelines? I'd only just setup the account. I was on a VPN, surely that can't be the issue, there are plenty of business's that are behind a VPN.

So to test, I setup a VM so everything is fresh. New e-mail address. New IP on the VPN, the MAC on the NIC would be different as its a VM. Verfy the account via e-mail again, then attempt to login to Facebook and again it disables the account.

I'm confused. I know they are trying to combat fake accounts, but why are they instantly disabling the account I'm creating? The name used is real. It's very odd.

Replies

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     Is this you first and only Facebook account 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A person on the Farming Forum uploaded a photo of a sheep and his account was verified - go figure!
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    30.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe its because of the new gmail and then straight to a new facebook account?  Pattern that they have
    seen recently for problem accounts?

Although I have had a gmail email account closed for some unknown reason they wont tell me. Created
    the account to use Bluestacks and that worked no problem. Some time later went onto Bluestacks to find
    it will not work, gmail had been banned.

Broke some unspoken rule, but if they don't tell me what I did wrong will I do it again?
    Made me wonder what if they ban my account that I use for banking. Now use my own domain for
    my personal emails.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• steviebuksteviebuk Forumite
    102 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    It wasn't the first account on that machine, but it was the first account on the VM. I was thinking it could be fingerprinting but it can't be on the VM as that is clean. The only thing I can think is what forgotmyname said, the e-mail account being created and then soon after a Facebook account is created. There must be some system they have that checks how long an e-mail account has been live for.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be of interest, you're not in any way unique:

• AstonSmithAstonSmith Forumite
    28 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I was on a VPN, surely that can't be the issue, there are plenty of business's that are behind a VPN.
    Why not? VPNs can be used to hide dodgy activity, so you will look more suspicious by websites you visit. Also, VPN public IP addresses tend to be passed around, so you could become associated with someone else's dodgy activity by appearing to be on the same connection as them.
  • SteveJWSteveJW Forumite
    544 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It all seems very strange
    I have tried to sign up on more than one occasion, sent pictures etc and always been declined with no way to ask for a review
    Decided to have one more go so  tried the other morning, used my first and middle name as my forename, correct surname, within seconds I was up and running with an account, immediately a total stranger asking me to accept him as a friend. Now got to find some real friends :-)
    No VPN same ip address
    Steve