Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Problems getting broadband at a new property - Mobile Broadband

New Post Advanced Search

Problems getting broadband at a new property - Mobile Broadband

5 replies 91 views
Hello 
I am due to move in to a new property within the next 2 weeks and decided to have a look at what my broadband options were so I could get set up asap after moving in. I was shocked to find that I cannot get broadband with pretty much any provider other than Sky who said the average download speed would be 4 mb/s. The property is near the city centre and in built up area. The infrastructure for a phone line is there but the line has not been connected yet. Could this be why they all say its unavailable at my new address? 

Additionally has any one else used EE's mobile broadband? If so would it be suitable for working from home everyday as I will be for the forseeable and this may be my only option. 

Thanks in advance. 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Sky can supply then every other BT Open Reach provider should be able to if they want to .
    4meg suggests a very poor line / distance from the cabinet .
    New as in new build ??
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody will be able to tell you what the mobile broadband will be like in the area in question, because its dependent on so many things - your signal and whatever else is around.  You would do better to grab some free SIMs from the four major networks (there are only four - Vodafone, EE, o2 and Three - everybody else piggy backs onto one of these) and test their signals for yourself with your phone to get an idea of what sort of speed you could get.

Depends on why the previous line is not there  - if its not physically there then somebody will have to come and install one.  Although its far more likely there is a socket and everything's in, it just needs connecting at the exchange.  Or alternatively its been unbundled to Sky, which may be why everybody can't see it.  Once you get a line and a number, you may have better results.
  • Spencer310891Spencer310891 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    JJ_Egan said:
    If Sky can supply then every other BT Open Reach provider should be able to if they want to .
    4meg suggests a very poor line / distance from the cabinet .
    New as in new build ??
    Its not a new build as such but its been completely renovated so they disconnected the old line and have put infrastructure in for a new line to be connected 
  • Spencer310891Spencer310891 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Nobody will be able to tell you what the mobile broadband will be like in the area in question, because its dependent on so many things - your signal and whatever else is around.  You would do better to grab some free SIMs from the four major networks (there are only four - Vodafone, EE, o2 and Three - everybody else piggy backs onto one of these) and test their signals for yourself with your phone to get an idea of what sort of speed you could get.

Depends on why the previous line is not there  - if its not physically there then somebody will have to come and install one.  Although its far more likely there is a socket and everything's in, it just needs connecting at the exchange.  Or alternatively its been unbundled to Sky, which may be why everybody can't see it.  Once you get a line and a number, you may have better results.
    Thanks for the advice on the mobile broadband. 

The house was fully renovated and they disconnected the old phone line. The infrastructure for a new line is there, it just needs connecting. I did wonder if thats why nothing was coming up. I just dont want to pay £140 to get the phone line connected if it is not guaranteed ill be able to get it. 
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    517 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I know someone who lives in a remote location who has decided that 4G mobile broadband is the right solution. I think he is with Three. He has erected a special rooftop aerial setup carefully orientated on line of sight to the 4G mast and gets an excellent service. Of course he has a special router which takes the feed from the aerial and handles all the 4G stuff, but apart from that no-one would know they were connected over 4G. Have a separate arrangement with Vodafone using a Suresignal for mobile phone connectivity. So when you make a call there using Vodafone the call is picked up on the Suresignal and routed over the Internet using the Three 4G network!