Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Virgin Media Broadband gives broken router, uses the fault to upsell me to higher plan

New Post Advanced Search

Virgin Media Broadband gives broken router, uses the fault to upsell me to higher plan

edited 30 June at 5:38PM in Broadband & Internet Access
9 replies 138 views
Great_WandererGreat_Wanderer Forumite
8 posts
Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 30 June at 5:38PM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi all,

Just got off the phone with Virgin Media who have just lost me as a customer when my contract ends at the end of next month. I'm pretty sure what they pulled was illegal - but I need facts from people who know better than me.

I moved into a house 1 year and 8 months ago and took Virgin Media as my broadband provider on their 100mpbs plan - it was suitable for the amount of devices we had. The internet didn't work, everything kept cutting out hourly, the tv next to the router kept buffering, the tv in the bedroom above didn't connect. I called them up and they said the issues was speed, and going onto the 200mbps plan would fix it so I did. Their technician came round and said the router was fine so speed seemed the issue.
It wasn't.

At 200mbps no issue was resolved, all the same problems. Called them up, they said diagnostics show speed was the issue and I should go on the 350mbps plan - so I did.
Same issues.

Our contract is up in a months time at the end of July, and EE are offering a identical deal - so I called Virgin and said I was leaving because of the constant fight to have normal internet in our household had drove us away from the company, but would stay if they could fix the problems we had. They ran a test...........and found we've had a duel band router for over a year and a half that was stuck on 2.4ghz. Everything in the house disconnects and doesn't load because they're all fighting for bandwidth on 2.4ghz without the ability to switch to 5ghz. They're sending out a new router, should arrive today.

So during this call that exposed the actual technical issue, I ask for the complaints department to call me back, as it had obviously now come to light that they had sent me a faulty router when we first moved in, and had either used the fault to upsell me on higher plans by claiming speed was my issue, or didn't look deep into my issue enough to find that a hardware fault was the reason for my connection issues.

I said they needed to bump me back down the original plan I joined on, refund the difference I'd paid due to their opportunistic upselling resulting from their unscrupulous and/or technical incompetence, and find a way to make up to me over a year and a half of faulty service that has, at times, caused arguments in my household.

They said they could put me back down to 100mpbs (my original plan that would have been fine had I had a fully working router). but will not be refunding any difference in price. They also refused to offer any compensation for the struggle of a year and a half of faulty internet caused by their hardware.

I'm at a loss. I'm sent faulty hardware, then the fault was used to upsell me twice onto higher plans instead of fixing the actual problem. Then we discover it was a hardware fault all along and not speed, but they want to pretend like nothing was wrong and I need to go away. They've caused over a year and a half of faulty service, you'd think they'd be bending over backwards to apologise, but they're just shrugging their shoulders with a "s**t happens" attitude.

Surely this is failure to uphold a contract? I pay money, they provide a service, if they didn't provide the service as advertised at the point of sale then they have failed to uphold their side of the agreement. Not to mention the ethical issues of using your own faulty hardware as an opportunity to upsell your customer instead of fixing the hardware.

Am I going crazy here?

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never had any connections on 5g . never checked the wifi on the router yourself .
  • pallymanpallyman Forumite
    77 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Are you sure your contracts ending as Virgin may have put you on a new contract every time you upgraded and then downgraded,Worth checking just in case.
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, upgrade or downgrade  equals a new contract.
  • Great_WandererGreat_Wanderer Forumite
    8 posts
    Hi, thanks for the responses. We were put on different contracts with each upgrade, hence why the contract ends after 1yr 9 months of being in the house and not 1 year or 18 months as per usual contract lengths.
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just got off the phone with Virgin Media who have just lost me as a customer when my contract ends at the end of next month. I'm pretty sure what they pulled was illegal - but I need facts from people who know better than me.

I moved into a house 1 year and 8 months ago and took Virgin Media as my broadband provider on their 100mpbs plan - it was suitable for the amount of devices we had. The internet didn't work, everything kept cutting out hourly, the tv next to the router kept buffering, the tv in the bedroom above didn't connect. I called them up and they said the issues was speed, and going onto the 200mbps plan would fix it so I did. Their technician came round and said the router was fine so speed seemed the issue.
    It wasn't.

At 200mbps no issue was resolved, all the same problems. Called them up, they said diagnostics show speed was the issue and I should go on the 350mbps plan - so I did.
    Same issues.

Our contract is up in a months time at the end of July, and EE are offering a identical deal - so I called Virgin and said I was leaving because of the constant fight to have normal internet in our household had drove us away from the company, but would stay if they could fix the problems we had. They ran a test...........and found we've had a duel band router for over a year and a half that was stuck on 2.4ghz. Everything in the house disconnects and doesn't load because they're all fighting for bandwidth on 2.4ghz without the ability to switch to 5ghz. They're sending out a new router, should arrive today.

So during this call that exposed the actual technical issue, I ask for the complaints department to call me back, as it had obviously now come to light that they had sent me a faulty router when we first moved in, and had either used the fault to upsell me on higher plans by claiming speed was my issue, or didn't look deep into my issue enough to find that a hardware fault was the reason for my connection issues.

I said they needed to bump me back down the original plan I joined on, refund the difference I'd paid due to their opportunistic upselling resulting from their unscrupulous and/or technical incompetence, and find a way to make up to me over a year and a half of faulty service that has, at times, caused arguments in my household.

They said they could put me back down to 100mpbs (my original plan that would have been fine had I had a fully working router). but will not be refunding any difference in price. They also refused to offer any compensation for the struggle of a year and a half of faulty internet caused by their hardware.

I'm at a loss. I'm sent faulty hardware, then the fault was used to upsell me twice onto higher plans instead of fixing the actual problem. Then we discover it was a hardware fault all along and not speed, but they want to pretend like nothing was wrong and I need to go away. They've caused over a year and a half of faulty service, you'd think they'd be bending over backwards to apologise, but they're just shrugging their shoulders with a "s**t happens" attitude.

Surely this is failure to uphold a contract? I pay money, they provide a service, if they didn't provide the service as advertised at the point of sale then they have failed to uphold their side of the agreement. Not to mention the ethical issues of using your own faulty hardware as an opportunity to upsell your customer instead of fixing the hardware.

Am I going crazy here?

If that's the issue then that means in all that time you never once carried out a speed test to see what speed you were actually receiving before upgrading each time and you never tried connecting devices via ethernet to see if Wi-Fi was the cause. At the very least you should have the TV next to the router connected via Ethernet because there is no need for it to be Wi-Fi and then this would have shown the problem was only Wi-Fi. 
    Yes they may have been poor in diagnosing your issues but if you didn't even do any basic troubleshooting such as carrying out a speedtest in all this time your partly to blame.
  • edited 3 July at 11:45AM
    Great_WandererGreat_Wanderer Forumite
    8 posts
    edited 3 July at 11:45AM
    We have a two devices connected via Ethernet to the router since moving in, which never had any issues. The issue was wifi as stated in the original post.
    Several speed tests were done on a monthly basis, which resulted in several calls to Virgin Media to try to get them to resolve the ongoing issues. They said each time everything was fine on their end in terms of signal, which is why they said speed was the cause.
    Again, the cause was not ethernet, and not wifi speed, but the hardware not switching between ghz bands on the router. Something they did not find until many, many calls later from me trying to get them to find out what was wrong.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
     I'm pretty sure what they pulled was illegal - but I need facts from people who know better than me.

There certainly doesn't appear to have been any pulling (or pushing) of anything illegal.

Hopefully that's a weight off your mind.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP do you have 5ghz devices .
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    We have a two devices connected via Ethernet to the router since moving in, which never had any issues. The issue was wifi as stated in the original post.
    Several speed tests were done on a monthly basis, which resulted in several calls to Virgin Media to try to get them to resolve the ongoing issues. They said each time everything was fine on their end in terms of signal, which is why they said speed was the cause.
    Again, the cause was not ethernet, and not wifi speed, but the hardware not switching between ghz bands on the router. Something they did not find until many, many calls later from me trying to get them to find out what was wrong.
    So if you knew from the start that the devices connected to the Ethernet were fine and it was only devices connected via Wi-Fi that issues then why did you agree to go onto faster and more expensive internet packages?. The faster speed has no effect on Wi-Fi because this is purely down to the router and devices connected to it and a fast speed would make no difference at all to the Wi-Fi connections. 

It doesn't matter if they didn't find the exact cause of the Wi-Fi issue to start with the very fact that Ethernet worked fine showed that the issue was nothing to do with internet speed.