PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Information before offer

Hi everyone
I'm a FTB and have seen a new build property that i like and am interested in making an offer. However, the estate agent has provided little concrete information apart from the advert from their site. I would think that a potential offer can only be made if things like inventory, EPC, land map etc are actually provided, otherwise how can i work out what i think the property is actually worth to me. As an example the agent said that agarage (off to the side with other garages in a block) is included, but that's not in the advert and without extra information i cannot tell whether the agent is being truthful.

Am i right in my thinking or do these things get provided after an initial offer? 

Cheers

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The ea has no reason to lie, once an offer has been made & accepted it will be the job of your solicitor to check over the purchase details. Even with older homes the ea wouldn't necessary have all the details relating to a property, they can only go by what the vendor tells them.  If it's a new build then it would come with some guarantees like NHBC certificate. If the property has previously been lived in then you can ask questions of the vendor, via the ea, about things you're not too sure of in relation to the sale.

You would base your offer on what a similar or comparable property has recently sold for or what you personally feel happy paying for property in question.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    If EAs lips moving assume they are lying :)
    You can ask for confirmation in writing e.g. email. They your solicitor will examine legal documents during purchase process.

Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • decrement
    decrement Posts: 78 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you cattie, I understand that but i feel that i have no idea what i am actually bidding for, especially with the property not 100% finished. My worry is also that they are asking for a holding deposit of £1k if i offer.
  • decrement
    movilogo said:
    If EAs lips moving assume they are lying :)
    You can ask for confirmation in writing e.g. email. They your solicitor will examine legal documents during purchase process.

I have tried emailing but everything is evasive one word answers. They are happy for me to keep viewing the property but don't answer anything properly.

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do you mean by "not 100% finished"? Is it a newbuild property? It's not normal for there to be a "holding deposit" for other types of property, I wouldn't hand any money over at this stage.
  • decrement
    davidmcn said:
    What do you mean by "not 100% finished"? Is it a newbuild property? It's not normal for there to be a "holding deposit" for other types of property, I wouldn't hand any money over at this stage.
    Yes new build, via a small property developer, not the likes of Taylor Wimpey, Barrats etc.
    it was around 98% finished, so thing like adding all the wall sockets, adding in a few paving stones on the drive etc were still needed to be done. They were actively working while we visited. The EA said that if i make an offer then to secure exclusivity i would need to give the holding deposit.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback