Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Garden extended on to communal land - advise please

I live in one of 6 maisonettes which are leasehold. My neighbours who have a garden plot adjacent to mine have extended their garden beyond their boundary onto land which is supposed to be communal. They have built so close to the garages which the communal area leads to that it would now be tight (but not impossible) to drive in and out of the garage. I did explain that it was not their land to build on but they feel there was an existing boundary because the previous owners had extended their garden slightly but didn’t take the whole of the communal land and certainly didn’t fence it and build a huge deck on it. 

Should I alert the freeholder? Will they do anything about it?

Replies

• edited 30 June 2020 at 7:20AM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    30.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020 at 7:20AM
    Of course.  I'm sure the freeholder would do something.  If they don't, then it would be a good motivator to find someone decent to manage the building.  

I'm all for live and let live, but if their 'living' genuinely affecting other people's 'living' then they have to be asked to refrain.  Planting that everyone can enjoy is one thing, fencing off communal property is not.  

There's no argument for creating new boundaries.  It's all in the deeds.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a management company, contact them but otherwise you should inform the freeholder.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    799 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    SBU1970 said:
    They have built so close to the garages which the communal area leads to that it would now be tight (but not impossible) to drive in and out of the garage.
    You should really have informed the landowner before the building was built.

• DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    30.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SBU1970 said:
    They have built so close to the garages which the communal area leads to that it would now be tight (but not impossible) to drive in and out of the garage.
    You should really have informed the landowner before the building was built.

How do you do that if you don't know about it?  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.