New Post Advanced Search

Plusnet - engineer didn't show

6 replies 151 views
littleredhenlittleredhen Forumite
3.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
We had booked an engineer to install a phone line today - new Plusnet customer - booked this three weeks ago and got confirmation email - phoned Plusnet at 2pm today to double check engineer was still coming only to be told no and we should have been informed that Open Reach couldn't come today and they were now coming next Monday.  We have been offered £35 credit on our bill but we wanted internet today when we moved into our flat - anyone have any thoughts?
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)

Replies

• edited 29 June at 7:49PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 June at 7:49PM
    We had booked an engineer to install a phone line today - new Plusnet customer - booked this three weeks ago and got confirmation email - phoned Plusnet at 2pm today to double check engineer was still coming only to be told no and we should have been informed that Open Reach couldn't come today and they were now coming next Monday.  We have been offered £35 credit on our bill but we wanted internet today when we moved into our flat - anyone have any thoughts?
    Poor form for PN not to have told you in advance, mybe PN were told late hence why you didnt know until it was late.
    Its a week, were you really desperate to get it installed ?

Did you try to push for more than £35 ?
  • littleredhenlittleredhen Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    they were told but didn't communicate it - we had the moving in date a month ago and purposefully didn't book the engineer until nearly the day so as not to inconvenience the landlord - we could have borrowed keys a week ago! so its very frustrating that this has happened - and its acutally for my daughter who is renting her first flat and at 19 not having internet is not an option!!

3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I didn't push for more money but he said he would raise a complaint because they had definitely been told and failed to communicate that to us - I don't want to sound greedy and in fairness all my daughter wants is the internet - they offered her the £35 to go to her mobile provider for more gb - she's with vodaphone and they are offering a measly 3gb of data for£20!! that won't go far.  Not sure what else to do as I say its more the fact that if they had contacted us we might have been able to postpone the moving date and saved a week's rent!
    Thanks

• edited 30 June at 8:56AM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June at 8:56AM
    AFAIK the amount of compensation for a no-show is a fixed amount agreed across the industry - so having a rant and demanding more probably wont do you much good. Have you been given another date.
    It may be irritating but I'm sure the world wont stop if she doesn't get internet for another week or so and there are plenty of ways around it if she really can't live without it.
    I'ts not only Vodafone who do data packages, so there are better deals out there - you could even try 3 who supply a 4g package and router which negates the need even for a landline if your location has decent reception - you could then cancel PlusNet and have a fully portable system that you could take anywhere.

http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thank you yes she was told it would be Monday next week 

• VegastareVegastare Forumite
    474 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Seems Open Reach are always doing this - had 3 on shows on confirmed appt regarding ongoing fault last year.  Three weeks till actually sorted