Can anyone explain what is happening, or recommend a new VPN!?

in Techie Stuff
10 replies 182 views
bairn7bairn7 Forumite
579 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all
I've been using a VPN for a while now. I've had a two year subscription with PureVPN and it has done what I needed it to, up until recently when the service became pretty unreliable and slow. I have signed up for a month of IPVanish on a recommendation and it seems like a good service but it is still really slow.
I don't know much about VPNs but I'm expecting a slowdown in speeds - just now the slow down I'm getting.
Without a VPN, I'm getting 200+MB - with a VPN, I'm getting around 10MB. Is this a normal slowdown?
I'm hoping I'm just unlucky with my choice of VPNs but if that is the norm, please let me know. Any recommendations for faster VPNs, and advice as to what speeds I should expect with a VPN (say, with a baseline of 200MB) would be appreciated!
Thank you

Replies

• You get what you pay for. I use NordVPN and I've just done a speed test whilst connected to the USA to one of their points in New York. I too have a 200Mbps connection and I got 161Mbps. I got 184Mbps connected to the Netherlands.
    So yes, you should be able to get much more but it will depend on the capacity of the provider you use.
  • askeymaskeym Forumite
    117 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've been using TunnelBear for a few years and they've won awards. I haven't noticed any slowdowns. The only downside is I live in Malta but can't log into BBC iPlayer or the UK Lottery, but everywhere else is fine.
    I know Domestos kills 99% of germs, but I'm worried about the 1% that got away.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is this going to become the new VPN spam thread?

If this thread resurfaces every few months, bumped by one-post-wonders, then I'll be correct. :)
  • edited 29 June 2020 at 9:23AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2020 at 9:23AM
    OP why do you need/use a VPN .How do you use it .
    Where are you connecting to as different servers/ countries give different speeds .
    I drop 80% connecting to some servers like China Brazil etc  others like Netherlands Belgium only drop about 15 % unless the server is at high usage .
  • dogmaryxxdogmaryxx Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    30Mbps connection 

• jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I also use Nord VPN, on a 1gb connection I get about 150mb which is pretty good (I wouldn't expect it to be 1gb!).
    10mb isn't fast enough, switch providers.
  • bairn7bairn7 Forumite
    579 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks all. I went with ExpressVPN. A bit more expensive than I'd like but thought I'd try it given their risk-free trial. I'm currently now getting around 70MB. I had also tried ghostvpn earlier today and was only getting between 4MB and 10MB. I'm in Canada. Ironically, connecting to a US server gives me 20MB more than connecting to my closest Canadian server! 
  • edited 30 June 2020 at 7:39AM
    DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2020 at 7:39AM
    Does connecting to a VPN server in the same country as you live not somewhat defeat the purpose?

PS - I see someone marked my previous post as spam. This was either done for irony, or was by one of the Tony alter egos trying to cause trouble. :)
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    DoaM said:
    Does connecting to a VPN server in the same country as you live not somewhat defeat the purpose?

PS - I see someone marked my previous post as spam. This was either done for irony, or was by one of the Tony alter egos trying to cause trouble. :)
    Not really, the user may not be using it just to view iPlayer etc. There are other reasons to use a VPN.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • bairn7bairn7 Forumite
    579 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks. The purpose of my VPN usage is partly accessing iplayer and partly security. Hence connecting to my own country. It's nice to have both options.