New Post Advanced Search

Misleading Ebay Photos

8 replies 343 views
I bought something on BIN from Ebay unfortunately they are way smaller than I expected.  Seller did not put a  height on and I wish I had messaged to double check but as it was BIN and there was only one heart ruled.  Seller has agreed that the photos were misleading (close ups) and has agreed to take them back - how is it best to go about this do I just return them or go through Ebay by opening a case.

Replies

• edited 26 June at 12:24PM
    theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 June at 12:24PM
    Difficult for anyone to answer without knowing what it is.

When you say they are 'way smaller than [you] expected] are they a specific size or is this a case of something in a variety of sizes?  

If I purchased some Apple Airpods and they came and I thought they were smaller than expected then it's my fault and I would pay for the return. 

• edited 26 June at 2:59PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 June at 2:59PM
    The description didn't include the words 'doll's house 1/12th scale' or something to that effect, did it?  

You wouldn't be the first to think they'd bought a human sized item for a song - only to receive something that is a 12th of the size expected.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to be more specific in what the item is as this is key to whether it is SNAD or your error. 

E.g. if it is normally something bigger and you received a tiny version (like the above example of furniture) then I would open a dispute for not as described.

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • BargainJunkyBargainJunky Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies it was a mannequin type necklace display stand.  Unfortunately the photo was taken quite closely so it looks huge.  Lesson learnt I will double check the size before buying next time.    
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies it was a mannequin type necklace display stand.  Unfortunately the photo was taken quite closely so it looks huge.  Lesson learnt I will double check the size before buying next time.    
    Strangely I was thinking about something along those lines, display pieces mannequins etc can be odd things and I'd seen a mini mannequin at an auction and realised that in the photo I had seen before I went it looked full size, but it was actually about half size as my brain saw what it expected.

That sort of thing is worth checking, just check out AliExpress for display busts, necklace displays etc look at the photos and then read the actual sizes - it is a real eye opener!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • BargainJunkyBargainJunky Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to shove it in a drawer and save if for a rainy day - I'm guessing it will come in handy at some point.  The annoying thing is I was buying it for our scout group to use as a display for fundraising when we get the opportunity to do anything - will have to resort to plan B.  I never realised they made these things this small - Barbie's jewellery would fit perfectly.
  • edited 28 June at 10:01AM
    pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June at 10:01AM
    I am going to shove it in a drawer and save if for a rainy day - I'm guessing it will come in handy at some point.  The annoying thing is I was buying it for our scout group to use as a display for fundraising when we get the opportunity to do anything - will have to resort to plan B.  I never realised they made these things this small - Barbie's jewellery would fit perfectly.
    If it was that small then it should have said it was a dolls one on the listing, particularly if it was priced as a full size one.

I think I would open a dispute for not as described, and state that the listing should have described it as being a miniature version.

The word ‘mannequin’ is a life size model of the human body.

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pinkshoes said:
    If it was that small then it should have said it was a dolls one on the listing, particularly if it was priced as a full size one.

I think I would open a dispute for not as described, and state that the listing should have described it as being a miniature version.

The word ‘mannequin’ is a life size model of the human body.

A mannequin does not have to be life sized , the word denotes a model based on the human form to be used for display , it can also be used to describe a part of the human body, ie just the torso or bust that is issued to display smaller bits.

I am not sure that OP will be guaranteed to win an SNAD claim- it depends on status and history of seller. A jewellery display bust or velveteen bust can be of any size. I use small ones (approx 7 inches tall) for some of my items, modelled to look like a bust - but used just to display the pendant part of necklaces , I've seen others used that are smaller. When I used to do fairs and conventions I regularly I had a box of around 15 of them as they stood nicely on a set of portable shelves I used . I used to wrap the chain round and round and use the velveteen stand to display just the pendant part and if people wanted to see the length of the chain they could take it off a check. They are very often used in shop windows and most fairs I went to had these on all the jewellery tables.  Personally I would leave positive feedback but mention the size of these in the wording 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide