We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Expedia + Air Canada + AIG Insurance (The Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse)
jitasb
Posts: 5
Forumite
Back in February, when life was good. Booked a flight to Canada with Expedia. AirLine was Air Canada. Also took out Travel insurance with AIG Travel.
Along came the virus...etc etc. Air Canada cancelled the flights and decided to issue vouchers. Expedia persistently sending me emails about how to accept these vouchers. Despite numerous emails back and forth and me refusing to accept vouchers and requesting a refund. Then claimed on my AIG Insurance under the Flight Cancellation clause. Again not as simple as it sounds.
Have been on the phone with all three horsemen. Air Canada say it is their policy to offer vouchers only not refund. Expedia say Air Canada have made there ruling and they can't do anything about it. AIG say that Expedia have offered vouchers, so that is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned. Irrespective of Air-Canada and Expedia >>. I thought at least Travel Insurance should refund you the money (as per their flight cancellation clause). Otherwise what is the point of actually taking out any insurance at all ? It is money down the drain.
Any thoughts on the next steps to bring one of three back into the land of "common sense" ? I guess i could try financial ombudsman..or a credit card claim ? I booked the flights using Barclaycard.
Thanks in advance.
Along came the virus...etc etc. Air Canada cancelled the flights and decided to issue vouchers. Expedia persistently sending me emails about how to accept these vouchers. Despite numerous emails back and forth and me refusing to accept vouchers and requesting a refund. Then claimed on my AIG Insurance under the Flight Cancellation clause. Again not as simple as it sounds.
Have been on the phone with all three horsemen. Air Canada say it is their policy to offer vouchers only not refund. Expedia say Air Canada have made there ruling and they can't do anything about it. AIG say that Expedia have offered vouchers, so that is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned. Irrespective of Air-Canada and Expedia >>. I thought at least Travel Insurance should refund you the money (as per their flight cancellation clause). Otherwise what is the point of actually taking out any insurance at all ? It is money down the drain.
Any thoughts on the next steps to bring one of three back into the land of "common sense" ? I guess i could try financial ombudsman..or a credit card claim ? I booked the flights using Barclaycard.
Thanks in advance.
0
Comments
-
Looks like you tried a few options.
I would try a Chargeback (not section75) on your card.
New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
" I am not a number! I am a free man!"1 -
Try Air Canada again, they have very recently updated their Long Delay and Flight Cancellation Notice to reflect EU261/2001:5. REFUNDS
If you’re departing the European Union, Switzerland or Iceland, the following rules may apply to your situation:
Refunds under EC Regulation No 261/2004
If your flight is delayed by more than three hours or cancelled and you choose to refuse the re-routing offered, you are entitled to receive a refund of the full cost of your ticket, at the price at which it was purchased, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to your original travel plan, together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity.When I spoke to an agent at the weekend, they were quite willing to issue a refund my rerouted (i.e. cancelled and rebooked from a different airport), previously it was a voucher only response, but then found my booking was in a state due to previous rejected chargebacks. I'm now dealing with back office staff over email to hopefully get it resolved.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
