Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

School meals, what are your memories? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

School meals, what are your memories?

edited 16 June at 1:51PM in The Money Savers Arms
20 replies 161 views
2»

Replies

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pogofish said:
    Vile, at best barely edible slop/sludge served by women with a fierce hatred of children, eaten in halls patrolled by psychopaths whose entire goal in life was to make your experience of eating as unpleasant and antisocial and divisive as possible.

Dotheboys Hall?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was unfortunately a bit of a fussy child and had a phobia about school dinners.   At Junior School the fussy ones were put on a table together (at least I was not alone!). The food was OK I suppose, this was the late 50s/early 60s so it was mainly Meat and veg or stews.  No burgers and never had chips.  Puddings were quite nice.

Grammar school was much better because they didn’t care if you didn’t eat  everything.  They often had cheese as an alternative for vegetarians which I loved.  We seemed to have stewed prunes or rhubarb a lot, which put me off them a bit.

• sillyvixensillyvixen Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always sat next to Bridget, she always smelled of wee! I did not eat most of the food provided. I could not leave the table untill I had cleared my plate!! Wee smelling Bridget was a human dustbin and would eat everything I would not, we were not friends in the playground, but I feel that here family had little to go around food wise and we were both doing each other a favour.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I were talking about just this yesterday. We would be at primary school late 50s and early 60s and had a lot of similar likes even though we were at the time hundreds of miles apart. Banana custard was a fave, choc sponge with choc sauce, steak pie tray bake, a sort of cheese pie which would now be called something French, fish and chips - the memories we both have are positive on the whole. I remember disliking diced beetroot and their version of salad in general. The puddings were ace and if offered we would always go for seconds!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • tealadytealady Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liver, which could be used to sole shoes
    Stew with fatty meat, watery spuds.
    Tapioca (we called it frogspawn)
    All of which I wouldnt eat
    No wonder I piled on the pounds as soon as I left.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
  • GettingtherequicklyGettingtherequickly Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not being allowed to leave the table until we had finished. I remember one occasion being forced to eat tomatoes, which I hated, spent the night being sick, my poor parents having to clean up after me, was only about 5 so not really old enough to know when it was time to leg it to the bathroom!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • TallaghtTallaght Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Schools used to enjoy the free daily milk until Thatcher stopped it.
  • edited 17 June at 9:12PM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June at 9:12PM
    Pyxis said:
    Dotheboys Hall?
    Nope - just an ordinary primary school, then comp.  The primary was maybe worse, staff were much the same but it didn't have its own kitchen - All the food vanned-over from a central kitchen a couple of hours before in ancient thermal containers (some had the King George VI crest stamped on them!) that were supposed to keep it hot but never worked properly, so everything was the wrong side of lukewarm (from a bacterial POV) and metallic-tasting by the time we were sat down to eat.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely had school dinners in primary school and mostly went home for dinner. My instinct tells me i did like them though. For a while at the beginning of secondary i returned to having school dinners. I liked them but it was not healthy. I alternated between burger and chips and hot dog and chips. It was accompanied by a flapjack. The flapjacks were lovely. The last ever time i stayed was for the xmas dinner. I got food poisoning from it. For the rest of school i went home for dinner and that was usually a bag of chips open with scraps. Our chippy used to be really nice, i miss it. The current owners make the worst chips ever.
  • Meg_xMeg_x Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morbier said:
    We sat at tables of 8 and pudding was served one to each table, for us to divide and serve up amongst ourselves. There was one particular pudding that only two of us liked, so we got half each!  The pudding was what is nowadays called a 'tray bake' - pastry base, a layer of jam, topped with custard, served warm/cold.  Yummy.  It was the cold custard (plus skin) that put most people off. I could eat some now. 🤪
    This reminds me of my favourite pudding. Caramel Tart.
    If we knew it was on the menu for that day, 3 or 4 of us would make sure that we were at the back of the queue, so would get a full one to ourselves.😀

I’ve tried making it but it’s not quite the same, but I do know a couple of dinner ladies, who used to order me one from their school occasionally. They taste exactly how I remember them.

My daughter used to love Cornflake Tart when she was at school, and I’ve perfected this, so often make her one. She’s actually told me that mine is better. 👍
    Everyone you meet may be fighting a battle you know nothing about.
    Be kind!
    🧚