Social Distancing Rant

edited 7 June at 7:34AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
51 replies 3.3K views
JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
405 posts
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 7 June at 7:34AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Just feel the need to rant about the mindless masses who insist on not following social distancing advice.
People flocking to the beaches, people gathering in their masses for protests
They are (potentially) undoing all the hard work and suffering that millions have gone through the last few months and there is a real risk of a second spike (and resulting lockdown) in September
Forget fining them £100, they should have their furlough payment removed 
Am personally very glad that you have now stopped the hypocritical "clap for xxxxxx" - you obviously have no respect for the people who have continued to try and keep this country running at some level of normal during this crisis

Replies

• askeymaskeym Forumite
    102 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I totally agree. The sensible ones are making great sacrifices on top of which these mindless cretins are putting health worker's lives at risk. They should be severely punished, maybe imprisoned.
    I know Domestos kills 99% of germs, but I'm worried about the 1% that got away.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamoLew said:
    Just feel the need to rant about the mindless masses who insist on not following social distancing advice.
    People flocking to the beaches, people gathering in their masses for protests
    They are (potentially) undoing all the hard work and suffering that millions have gone through the last few months and there is a real risk of a second spike (and resulting lockdown) in September
    Forget fining them £100, they should have their furlough payment removed 
    Am personally very glad that you have now stopped the hypocritical "clap for xxxxxx" - you obviously have no respect for the people who have continued to try and keep this country running at some level of normal during this crisis

How do you know these people did "clap for carers"?

• JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    405 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    true - probably a very loosely based assumption - but it's the type of behavior that someone who breaks the rules undertakes to soothe their guilt
    29K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamoLew said:
    true - probably a very loosely based assumption - but it's the type of behavior that someone who breaks the rules undertakes to soothe their guilt

I doubt the people who break the rules regarding social distancing have any guilt.
  • edited 7 June at 11:28AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 June at 11:28AM
    As far as the protests are concerned, just very very bad timing that this has coincided with the pandemic. Lets hope they've kept their 2 metre distance , as they've no doubt been next to people who are infected , for 15 minutes or more
    29K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hollydays said:
    As far as the protests are concerned, just very very bad timing that this has coincided with the pandemic. Lets hope they've kept their 2 metre distance , as they've no doubt been next to people who are infected , for 15 minutes or more

I think that's a vain hope.
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    hollydays said:

I think that's a vain hope.
    There was a demonstration in my local town yesterday. Someone commented to a local reporter that social distancing was impossible to maintain unless on the outer edges of the crowd, or at the back.
    29K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they'll all be travelling on the buses and trains and trams, working in the shops or shopping in the shops and garden centres...and on and on we go.

On the subject of protests in London, I was heartened to hear that the horse which bolted after its rider collided with a set of traffic lights and went on to trample one of the protesters found its own way back to the police stables.
    At least one attendee of the protests showed remarkable common sense...
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    although not ideal I think the government should take advantage of the protests to see whether a large group of people (15,000 in Manchester) have an impact on the R value. If there is no notable spike because of these protests they could start to relax lockdown. 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    hollydays said:
    Have you seen the picture of the thousands marching to the US embassy? No chance of 2 mtrs distancing there
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52954305