Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Cancel child benefit for 3 of my children and allow my ex to claim instead

New Post Advanced Search

Cancel child benefit for 3 of my children and allow my ex to claim instead

4 replies 272 views
I’ve recently ended my relationship with my ex and I have 5 children but only the youngest 3 are with him. I claim child benefit for all of them but have decided to cancel my claim for the 3 youngest and allow him to make a new claim for them. As we share custody it seems more suitable for our situation and allows us both help towards living expenses when he moves to a new place shortly. 
My question is that while he’s still living in the house we rent as joint tenants, and we now have separate UC claims as single claimants at the same address for now, what affect will this have on my entitlement to UC? And how long will it take for his new claim for child benefit to start being paid? It was paid to me for all children into my bank account but as he’s not yet set up his own bank account he wants his payments for child benefit to be paid into my account for the time being. Is this allowed? Has anyone been through something similar to my situation?

Replies

• edited 2 June at 7:19AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 June at 7:19AM
    It shouldn’t take long for home to set up a bank account, it would be simpler for home to get this set up first so that he doesn’t have to change it later.
    i am surprised you have been able to make separate UC claims if the payments are being made into a joint account.
    As regards your UC claim the change will be that you will only get the child element for two children. He will get a child element for two or three depending on their ages.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is his UC  paid if he doesn't have a bank account?
  • Robbie64Robbie64 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    sheramber said:
    How is his UC  paid if he doesn't have a bank account?
    UC can be paid into a third party bank account.

• edited 2 June at 11:28PM
    sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 June at 11:28PM
    If it is the ex partner's account, It seems strange to have two single UC claims going into the one account.
    Similarly, having two separate  claims for child benefit from the same address going  into the same account. Why not just give him half your CB payments. Of course, separate claims  will bring in more money.