Paying mortgage with credit card

superM
superM Posts: 329
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi, 

Wondering if anyone has tried making additional payment using a credit card Natwest Mortgage. Does it shows as a cash pyamnrt or a purchase transaction?
Thanks

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Credit card payment will not be accepted for the mortgage. 
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A Curve card might allow it though 
  • superM
    superM Posts: 329
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On my natwest online mortgage.  When I click on to make an additional payment. Its says debit and credit card accepted. 
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    superM said:
    On my natwest online mortgage.  When I click on to make an additional payment. Its says debit and credit card accepted. 
    You’d need to ask the credit card company what merchant code the use for a mortgage payment. 
  • Cell
    Cell Posts: 580
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just bringing this one back to see if anyone has any further experience. Nat West certainly do offer the credit card option for overpayments, but I am reluctant to do so just to receive a few points from my affinity card. I just have the feeling that any answer from Nat West will be in vague terms.
    Any help appreciated.

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,515
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    it might count as a cash transaction and therefore have no interest free period. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Cell
    Forumite
    Yes. I guess I will need to check with Nat West.
    I am also concerned that it might look like a distressed payment with it coming from credit despite being an overpayment!
    Thank you.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,642
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They'll either not allow it, or it will probably be treated as a cash transaction. If you've got the savings to make an overpayment, I'd just use a debit card or do a bank transfer... much simpler
  • Cell
    Forumite
    Oh they definitely allow it. It's an option when you process the overpayment.
    I do do it by debit card but if I was doing so and missing out on credit card loyalty points in the process it would be silly not to use  the CC. As you say it might be treated as a cash transaction in which case that would have implications both in terms of fees but also the reporting to the CRCs/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback