Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Is Royal Mail back to normal delivery timescales?

New Post Advanced Search

Is Royal Mail back to normal delivery timescales?

73 replies 1.8K views
I suppose it might vary from one region to another but are you finding things are back to normal, or still being delayed?

Thx

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't encountered any delays other than no letters on a Saturday.   If anything I have found my RMT 48 and 24 is travelling at the same speed (quickly) through the network. 
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it might vary from one region to another but are you finding things are back to normal, or still being delayed?

Thx
    RM have a status page for such questions

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12556/~/service-update

Covid specific page

https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus

• RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've slowed down a lot on Royal Mail items, having briefly stopped sending any.
    I'd say that they're still having delays, although I've minimised my risk by sending everything first class whilst leaving as second with a 2-3 day despatch time. From a very rough guess, from someone sending between 300 and 1200 letters per week, I'd say you're looking at 1-5 days first and 2-15 second. It really is that variable and there are more items just not turning up.
    Whether the lack of complaints I've received over the last few days is due to an improvement in RM service or because I've changed my settings I wouldn't like to say.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RFW said:
    I've slowed down a lot on Royal Mail items, having briefly stopped sending any.
    I'd say that they're still having delays, although I've minimised my risk by sending everything first class whilst leaving as second with a 2-3 day despatch time. From a very rough guess, from someone sending between 300 and 1200 letters per week, I'd say you're looking at 1-5 days first and 2-15 second. It really is that variable and there are more items just not turning up.
    Whether the lack of complaints I've received over the last few days is due to an improvement in RM service or because I've changed my settings I wouldn't like to say.
    I know talking to guys working in RM it is still slaughtered with volumes.
    With social distancing and sick levels its not going to get any easier and something has to give.
    Letters being the obvious thing to suffer first. Eg Edinburgh mail centre has letter sorting machines called ILSMs,from memory they have 3 or 4 of them. These machines are probably 50 feet long. Since lock down kicked in these machines havent run at  all on the night shift with space between the machines being used for Tracked parcel sorting.
    Same for the flat sorting machine (FSM) not being used for the same period with space around the machine used for Tracked packet sorting.
    These machines would run for 7+ hours on the night shift running letters/flats.

• hermantehermante Forumite
    446 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    For me RM has been great all the way through March and April, but from the middle of May everything started to slow down. Still waiting for several ebay items purchased around 13 May and buyers reported my items dispatched around then took 1-2 weeks.
  • emmbrookemmbrook Forumite
    169 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    It really varies, I’ve had second class delivered in 24 hours and Special Delivery take several days. So very much down to where it comes from and passes through,
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised second class is still a thing, its so much slower for saving pennies.
  • Pierre_De_GrenoblePierre_De_Grenoble Forumite
    476 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Chrysalis said:
    I am surprised second class is still a thing, its so much slower for saving pennies.
    buyers always seem to look for the cheapest price ( I don't do "free" shipping)  I'm sure "custardy" can explain how it should work in practice but in normal circumstances pre covid a big proportion of my 2nd class postings seem to get there the next day. my buyers are always given the option of 1st class (65p extra) maybe 1 in 200 choses it.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysalis said:
    I don’t find it ‘much’ slower at all, usually just the single day as stated. I do offer both 1st and 2 class on virtually all of my listings and perhaps as few as 1 in 200 people upgrade to 1st. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin said:
    Chrysalis said:
    I don’t find it ‘much’ slower at all, usually just the single day as stated. I do offer both 1st and 2 class on virtually all of my listings and perhaps as few as 1 in 200 people upgrade to 1st. 
    I agree. Usually it doesn't make any significant difference using second class. I do use franking which possibly makes it better. I have been sending 1000 Royal Mail items in a week. Using second class against first can save upwards of £300 per week.