PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap BBQ’s

As the weather is lovely in lockdown and we have a nice outdoor space, the kids want BBQ’s every other day. This is lovely and we have a great time but it’s costing quite a bit.

We are doing burgers and sausages with Jacket potatoes in the bottom of the BBQ for evenings. I’m just a bit stumped as it’s more meat heavy than our usual meal plan and doesn’t really stretch the pennies easily!

Does anyone have any good cheaper BBQ meals for a family? 

Thanks 

Tink
Living the simple life

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,565
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Corn on the cob ??
    Chicken thighs / wings / etc all very cheap at Aldi / Lidl.

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Try roasting whole, small sweet potatoes on the bbq grill. They taste like toffee
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Happy_Sloth
    Happy_Sloth Posts: 316
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Try roasting whole, small sweet potatoes on the bbq grill. They taste like toffee
    yum ... i vote this one it is pretty darn good :) 

I also make/get little tin foil trays (you can just fold tin foil) and put pretty much any veggy's you want, i normally do peppers, onions, courgettes, tomatoes.   I also make homemade coleslaw that way i can load up my plate with veggy's helps with my waistline. 

Banana's wrapped in tin foil in the bottom are also pretty good, you can add all sorts i normally make little cuts on the banana and stick chocolate in the cuts! 
    • May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
    • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely get the veggies going, the tin foil tray or kebabs ( bit too early for corn on the cobs )

This is why I dislike BBQ btw, always too meat heavy, but like yourselves its lovely weather and its nice to be outside

So I just put a few coals on and cook just a burger each - serve with salads, or a few kebabs or a bit of fish. I don't load it. Ive one of those half barrel ones with a lid. Put the coals in the middle, food on either side and close the lid

Hallummi cheese is also lovely on the bbq, any kind of fish, spatched chicken, lamb butterflied. If doing chicken, lamb etc, you can also cook veggies on the BBQ using the trays 

When we bought our first house I had no kitchen for 4 or 5 months ( no back of house either as it happens ) and I cooked near enough everything on the BBQ. Even apple pie and custard lol

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback