JSA delays

I know there are delays, but I applied for contributory based JSA two months ago, and apart from the confirmation email and text have not received any communication.
I've called them several times and each time I am told they will send them an urgent email and I should receive a text, but I don't.
I just wonder if anyone has experienced the same issue?
I'm wondering if all their time is being devoted to UC and JSAs are being put to the back of the queue.

Thanks

Free thinker.:cool:

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That does seem rather a long time, even under these unusual times. All you can do is ring them again and ask what's going on and why it's taking so long.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    A new number (0800 1690310)  was given when I called this morning. After an hour waiting I was informed a letter + P45 had been posted to me. Only one of my tax years qualifies for Contributory based JSA. I burst into tears...😩
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    Mee said:
     Only one of my tax years qualifies for Contributory based JSA. I burst into tears...😩
    What abo9ut Universal Credit? Savings/capital of £16,000 or more will exclude you from claiming.
    A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

• Mee
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2020 at 11:37AM
    Mee said:
     Only one of my tax years qualifies for Contributory based JSA. I burst into tears...😩
    What abo9ut Universal Credit? Savings/capital of £16,000 or more will exclude you from claiming.
    A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Unfortunately/fortuately my savings take me over the savings threshold.  I think I cried out of frustration and dismay at waiting so long and calling four times only to be given bad news. It is especially dispiriting when you see and hear about recent benefit fraud re: UC.  I guess I should have done my homework... I've never applied or received tax credits.
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    Mee said:
    Mee said:

It is especially dispiring when you see and hear about recent benefit fraud re: UC.

I haven't heard of anything...
  • Mee
    Forumite
    Mee said:
    Mee said:

It is especially dispiring when you see and hear about recent benefit fraud re: UC.

I haven't heard of anything...
    Est.  £1.5Bn lost through UC fraud mainly due to easing of ID checks. See
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    Take note of the heading..."could be"
  • Mee
    Forumite
    Yes, hence I added est.  and note para:
    " BBC has been told that initial calculations indicate that as much as £1.5bn has been wrongly been paid out."
    Though wrongly paid may not equate with fraud.
    Anyway, I don't wish to sound like a benefits basher I'm just upset and even more so when one sees it on your doorstep too.☹️

• poppy12345
    Forumite
    Mee said:

Anyway, I don't wish to sound like a benefits basher I'm just upset and even more so when one sees it on your doorstep too.☹️

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Anyway your question has been answered, i'm out..
  • Some of the £1.5 billion (best.) will probably turn out to be official error and not fraud.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback