New Post Advanced Search

Hot Point parts website (rant/warning)

edited 23 May at 2:10PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
25 replies 443 views
jnhuasdjnhuasd Forumite
39 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 23 May at 2:10PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings

So today my partner decided to clean our oven door, and promptly broke the handle. We have an integrated Hot Point electric oven which was in the house when we moved in.

Long story short, managed to find the actual model number for the oven (which handily was not on or in the manual) and set about buying the new part which, thankfully, was still being manufactured. Checked everywhere and it seemed that the cheapest place to get the part was from the official (I think) Hot Point parts website located: https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/ .

When you go to this site and go to the product you end up here: https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/product/model_SY36X/Handles/J00151318?n=SN5155

Now if you click on the "Add to basket" button you get a pop up saying:

Choosing this part for your model requires more information.
Our spares team will be happy to help you select the right part(s) on 03448 225 225.

And there is no way of adding the item to the basket. Notice the bold bit in the URL above, remove that and you can add the item to the basket no issues, no pop up.

What an underhanded tactic (I think the term is 'dark pattern' for this sort of thing) to get you to contact their premium number!! Never sure if 0344 numbers are premium or not, so correct me if I'm wrong, and also are they even going to be there in the current circumstances? Either way they lost a customer as they clearly cannot be trusted.

Replies

• Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    jnhuasd said:

So today my partner decided to clean our oven door, and promptly broke the handle. We have an integrated Hot Point electric oven which was in the house when we moved in.

Long story short, managed to find the actual model number for the oven (which handily was not on or in the manual) and set about buying the new part which, thankfully, was still being manufactured. Checked everywhere and it seemed that the cheapest place to get the part was from the official (I think) Hot Point parts website located: https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/ .

When you go to this site and go to the product you end up here: https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/product/model_SY36X/Handles/J00151318?n=SN5155

Now if you click on the "Add to basket" button you get a pop up saying:

Choosing this part for your model requires more information.
    Our spares team will be happy to help you select the right part(s) on 03448 225 225.

And there is no way of adding the item to the basket. Notice the bold bit in the URL above, remove that and you can add the item to the basket no issues, no pop up.

What an underhanded tactic (I think the term is 'dark pattern' for this sort of thing) to get you to contact their premium number!! Never sure if 0344 numbers are premium or not, so correct me if I'm wrong, and also are they even going to be there in the current circumstances? Either way they lost a customer as they clearly cannot be trusted.

You have a choice, either ring them up and buy said item or remove the bucket from your partner and stop her from cleaning! 0344 is not premium rate and is included on most plans. If you are still using pay as you go, you are not saving anything.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • edited 23 May at 7:05PM
    jnhuasdjnhuasd Forumite
    39 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 May at 7:05PM
    You have a choice, either ring them up and buy said item or remove the bucket from your partner and stop her from cleaning! 0344 is not premium rate and is included on most plans. If you are still using pay as you go, you are not saving anything.

@Blackbeard_of_Perranporth that's the thing though, they are putting that in the way on purpose you can add the item to the basket without ringing them as long as you either mess around with the URL or edit the HTML in the developer tools of the browser. So they are just trying to waste your time. Glad you're using a privacy enabled search engine though, I managed to source the part from Amazon of all places for slightly less that the random spares price. Cheers matee.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jnhuasd said:

What an underhanded tactic (I think the term is 'dark pattern' for this sort of thing) to get you to contact their premium number!! Never sure if 0344 numbers are premium or not

Customer service business numbers are no longer  allowed to be charged at premium rate. This has been the case for some time now. 

Rather than being "underhand", the idea is that they guide you to the correct part for your particular  oven rather than you  inadvertently purchase the wrong one. 

As to whether anyone would answer on that number at the current time, well that's a different issue outside the company's control...
  • edited 24 May at 2:01PM
    jnhuasdjnhuasd Forumite
    39 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 24 May at 2:01PM
    Their website had already guided me to the correct part for my oven based on the model number. Why would I need to speak with someone, who probably won't be there at the current time and is going to tell me the same thing? It's certainly in the control of the company to not have this dark pattern on their site if they actually want custom. But I'm glad it's not a premium number, I see the 44 bit and alway think premium number.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jnhuasd said: I see the 44 bit and alway think premium number. 
    As said, your suspicions are completely unfounded. 
    Premium rate numbers can no longer be used for Customer Service lines to business. Since only the line provider is going to profit from such calls what would be the purpose of a "dark pattern"? 
    You are reading far too much into this. 
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customer service business numbers are no longer  allowed to be charged at premium rate. This has been the case for some time now. 
    Don't forget, that only applies if a consumer is contacting a company regarding a contract that has already been entered into.
    If you go to a company website to order a part and have to phone up to place the order, the company is legally permitted to only provide a premium rate number if they wish.
    However. If you order the part and then have to contact the company because of a problem or query, they then are required to give a basic rate number.
  • edited 24 May at 2:55PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 24 May at 2:55PM

If you go to a company website to order a part and have to phone up to place the order, the company is legally permitted to  provide a premium rate number if they wish.
    Point taken. 
     However since the number is not premium rate  it's moot. :)
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the basic design evolved over the years and some items require an additional grommet, gasket or thingymajig that differs depending on the exact model or serial number.  Maybe in the part you sourced you do not get this additional bit?
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • jnhuasdjnhuasd Forumite
    39 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    @IvanOpinion it's an oven door handle, I took the broken one off the oven and it only required 2 screws, which I still have. Either way that design has put me off ever using that site.

@Moneyineptitude I don't think we'll agree on this, as far as I'm concerned it's dodgy practice. And as far as my wallet's concerned, that's all that counts.