New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Word for ipad

8 replies 83 views
kah22kah22 Forumite
1.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭

I’ve just bought an iPad Air Wi-Fi 256GB to replace my ancient iPad 16 GB! I’ve never liked Pages now I see that Word is available on the iPad and it seems to be free! It’s something I might want for the new iPad. Any of you guys use it and does it live up to the Word name?  On my old PC I’m using Open Office and I’m wondering if  I import documents from there and save them as doc files ?

Word appears to be free butI’m always a bit cautious when companies like Microsoft and Apple offer something free, there’s very few free lunches about.  I’d love to hear your opinions.

Keep safe

Kevin

Replies

• ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I know excel is free if your screen is smaller than 10.2 inches. Many new iPads are this size or bigger so people will be caught out. 
    Word probably is free. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just my luck mines A 10.5‑inch Screen 
  • edited 23 May at 8:26AM
    debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May at 8:26AM
    Works fine on my ipad air2 2019, 
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • edited 23 May at 8:34AM
    Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    176 posts
    100 Posts
    edited 23 May at 8:34AM
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is easier if you use a separate kb Too
  • dogmaryxxdogmaryxx Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Free and with Office 365 subscription With the free versions of the apps, you can read your Word documents, use Excel data and present with PowerPoint. Your documents will look as good as they do on your PC and Mac, and better than ever on your iPad. With an Office 365 subscription, you can edit and create new documents with the iPad. An Office 365 subscription not only gets you the complete Office apps for iPad, but also always-up-to-date versions of Office for PC and Mac. You can sign up for a free 30 day Office 365 trial at www.office.com/try. Then download the Office for iPad apps in the App Store and sign in with your Office 365 account. During your trial period, you can use Office across your PC, Mac and iPad.

https://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/office/docs/officeipadrg.pdf

• kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    That’s something else I was wondering about. There does appears to be two options. 1. Buy a combo case ie protective cover and keyboard or 2. Buy a separate folio case and keyboard.

While my initial thoughts were towards the combo I’m now beginning to think that perhaps the folio case and separate keyboard is the way to go.

There are times when I’ll need a separate keyboard but most of the time I can get along quite well with the iPads own keyboard. Some of the work I have to do requires editing and with my old iPad I found trying to select short pieces of text was not the easiest in the world.

No matter what the make of the tablet the same issue must arise.

What’s your thoughts ?

• edited 24 May at 1:26PM
    debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 May at 1:26PM
    kah22 said:
    That’s something else I was wondering about. There does appears to be two options. 1. Buy a combo case ie protective cover and keyboard or 2. Buy a separate folio case and keyboard.

While my initial thoughts were towards the combo I’m now beginning to think that perhaps the folio case and separate keyboard is the way to go.

There are times when I’ll need a separate keyboard but most of the time I can get along quite well with the iPads own keyboard. Some of the work I have to do requires editing and with my old iPad I found trying to select short pieces of text was not the easiest in the world.

No matter what the make of the tablet the same issue must arise.

What’s your thoughts ?

Edited also you can use a BT mouse with iPados too, not really tried it much