New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

ebay fee if sale is refunded?

5 replies 86 views
I sold an item but the buyer was unhappy with it. It was exactly as described and pictured, but nonetheless he wasn't happy.
I'm happy to take it back and refund the buyer, but do I still get charged the ebay selling fee and if not how do I reclaim it?
Looked at the FAQs but can't find the answer....

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    honey1 said:
    I sold an item but the buyer was unhappy with it. It was exactly as described and pictured, but nonetheless he wasn't happy.
    I'm happy to take it back and refund the buyer, but do I still get charged the ebay selling fee and if not how do I reclaim it?
    Looked at the FAQs but can't find the answer....
    The easiest way is to get buyer to open a case for item not as described, then send buyer a return label. Once you get the item back you refund via the case and eBay return your FVFs. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • honey1honey1 Forumite
    43 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Bit reluctant to admit not as decribed - as it was!
    Also it was cash on collection so I'll be returning cash not refunding via ebay.
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to accept a return when buyer has paid cash on collection, as they have the opportunity to inspect item when they come to collect & to decide there & then not to proceed with purchase.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    honey1 said:
    Also it was cash on collection so I'll be returning cash not refunding via ebay.
    That might have been useful to mention in the OP 😀

In that case take item back, refund cash unmark as dispatched and cancel sale using the buyer asked for sale to be cancelled option. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • honey1honey1 Forumite
    43 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    soolin said:
    honey1 said:
    That might have been useful to mention in the OP 😀

In that case take item back, refund cash unmark as dispatched and cancel sale using the buyer asked for sale to be cancelled option. 
    Sorry! I know it's annoying when posters don't mention relevant info. Mea culpa!
    Thanks for the guidance.